1753657 Members
5597 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: StoreOnce Catalyst over Fiber

Vince Laurent
Respected Contributor

StoreOnce Catalyst over Fiber

I have a StoreOnce at my primary site as well as a secondary site.  I have fiber going from a server at the primary site and can do a Catalyst over Fiber backup.  I now have a second server at my secondary site that also has fiber.  The StoreOnce at the seconday site aslo has fiber.  I have created a new device off of this new server to the Secondary site StoreOnce in hopes of doing a restore.  But when I select restore it always goes back to the source server/StoreOnce even though I have changed my target.  What might I have set up wrong? FDC_CDC_MediaList.jpgFDC_Replaced_CDC.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
NeilFlemingHPE
Advisor

Hi Vince,

First of all, apologies someone hasnt replied to this before now. Hopefully you have resolved your issue. Youe post doesnt provide much information (such as what application you are using with Catalyst). Your screenshot looks like Data Protector but i could be wrong?

I can't comment on configuring DP, but certainly the Catalyst Copy is available for restore on the destination StoreOnce.

Have you tried the latest user guide? https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/web/softwaresupport/document/-/facetsearch/attachment/KM02592805?fileName=hpe_man_DP9.08_Admin_pdf.pdf

I would suggest pursuing the DP support for help if you are still having issues.

Thanks for using the forum and purchasing StoreOnce.

Neil Fleming, Team Manager, StoreOnce and Recovery Manager Central Product Management

Vince Laurent
Respected Contributor

No,  Not solved and prbably gone since the HPE SW split. 

Yes, am using Data Protector 9.08.  I have the manual and have read it trhough but can't figure out what I might have done wrong.  I understand that the Catalyst Copy is available for restore what I am wanting is the use of Fiber.  I don't want the backup to come back over the WAN then pushed out over the WAN for a restore. 

Pardon my cheap drawing but maybe it might help.  When I fire up the backup from Server A to the StoreOnce the DM passes the media control to the server and it backs up over the fiber link.

When I go to restore the remote StoreOnce to Server B it does everthing over ethernet AND the WAN.  Even though the remote StoreOnce and Server B are on Fiber and can 'see' each other (I was told by the Storeage Team). 

How do I get the restore to use the remote fiber?

CheapDiagram.png

Thomas Martin
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

do you have a Catalyst License on both Sites? Otherwise you can use the StoreOnce device only as VTL.

Have you set up the Catalyst Copy correctly? Create a backupjob to StoreOnce Store on Site A. Add a copyjob of the mentioned backupjob to Site B. Use the Replication function in the copyjob. This is on the "Options" Tab. Select a Store on Site B as destination. Attach Server B only to this store on Site B. If all these items are correct then you should be able to restore from Site B. You have to select the Store on Site B as source for the restore.

Vince Laurent
Respected Contributor

I have a catalyst license for the targets (site B and C) whereas our data center is site A.  I was told by HPE that what I am trying to do is possible.  I thought I had it set up correctly...

I have the [x] use replication set up for the scheduled job to copy from A to B.

The devil is in the details and that is where I am stumped.  I have fiber on all the servers are both sites (A and C).  I have fiber to the StoreOnce systems.  I have devices set up .... something has to be askew.  Wish there was a white paper/checklist....

NeilFlemingHPE
Advisor

Hi Vince,

Let me reach out to the DP contacts in MicroFocus and point them at this post. I suspect this is a DP setting/config issue rather than StoreOnce. Your DP support is still valid for questions and I would encourage you to log a ticket to get some official Technical Support to help (and post the answer back!).

Regards Neil