108789 Solutions
New Discussion

StoreOnce Catalyst plugin for MS SQL

SOLVED
Go to solution
ianbutton1
Frequent Advisor

StoreOnce Catalyst plugin for MS SQL

We are looking at this, as currently we run SQL native backups onto a staging-post, then use Data Protector to backup to Catalyst.  It's all rather slow, so a direct method would be quicker & save intermediate storage.

The install/user guide isn't very clear - does the plugin require the SQL server to be zoned with the StoreOnce, so that data moves direct?  Or does data move through a media server?  Media server is mentioned in the guide, but no information about required architecture.  And I can't see media server name showing as part of the backup configuration process.

TIA

2 REPLIES 2
ianbutton1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: StoreOnce Catalyst plugin for MS SQL

Aha, I think I can answer my own question.  The title page of the User Guide says "instructions on using the StoreOnce System with media servers running Microsoft SQL Server".  So that's it.  It makes sense, but the guide doesn't clarify that anywhere else.  We would have to buy SQL licences for the media servers - so this idea looks like a non-runner.

ianbutton1
Frequent Advisor

Re: StoreOnce Catalyst plugin for MS SQL

Further question - do the SQL databases have to be on the media server, or can the plugin use SQL Management Studio to look across at another SQL server in order to run the Catalyst backup.  Has anybody tried this?

TIA