4916 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

StoreOnce software federated deduplication

Samir_Abrahao
Occasional Contributor

StoreOnce software federated deduplication

Hi.

I couldn't find any post or material on the internet related to this subject, so i'm hoping anyone can help me here in the forums.

I need to set up two StoreOnce software deduplication solutions on top of Backup to Disk devices. These virtual devices will be located on different hosts at different sites. I need to ensure that any copy operations that occur between these devices are not rehydratated, so i can minimize bandwidth requirements between the production site and the remote datacenter.

Is there any way to achieve this with virtual backup devices and data protector alone?

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Data Protector Support and News Forum to Disk-Based Backup. - HP forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
Bob_Clark
Honored Contributor

Re: StoreOnce software federated deduplication

This is from the StoreOnce / Catalyst Best Practices Guide:

==============

HP StoreOnce Catalyst has the additional advantage that backups can then be moved offsite to another catalyst store all under control of the software. The data is moved without rehydration i.e. only new data ‘chunks’ are moved between stores. It is possible to move to multiple stores. Data duplication uses the HP Data Protector ‘object copy’ functionality and can replicate data to multiple HP StoreOnce Catalyst stores.

This does not appear to be a HP INternal document, so I will attach a copy to this response

Samir_abrahao1

Thank you for your reply Bob.

Like I said, I dont have a license for Catalyst stores, only the StoreOnce core functionality. Is thera any way to achieve the intelligent data transfer with StoreOnce software deduplication alone?

Bob_Clark
Honored Contributor

Anything I could tell you would be out of that document that I sent to you yesterday, so, I would have to answer your question 'No', unless you find something I missed

Data Protector will sometimes issue Emergency licenses, good for a few weeks,  so that you can test something.  I don't know if Catalyst will do the same, but, I think it is worth opening a case with them and asking

danielbraun
Honored Contributor

Hi,

no, with the software store it is not possible to test the scenario you want to setup.

As far as I know, the StoreOnce VSA comes with a 30 days instant-on license. This allows you to do the required tests, as the VSA behaves the same as the real hardware. Go to www.hp.com/go/storeonce for more details.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Samir_Abrahao
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply Daniel. After I saw your post a few days ago, I download and deployed StoreOnce VSA using the vSphere software and managed to create a Catalyst Store.

The problem is, when I create a B2D device using data protector and try to backup anything to this device, the following error is returned:

[Major] From: BMA@interserv020.intermedium.local "TESTE_gw1 [GW 4616:1:455582887]"  Time: 03/04/2014 19:01:01
[90:54]      \\10.0.0.53\Store_1\1400000a_533dda1d_06e8_0170
    Cannot open device (StoreOnce error: Client not licensed to perform this operation)

Am I missing out on something?

Lumpy
Occasional Visitor

The following licenses are installed:
Single Drive for Windows
Advanced Backup to Disk
Cell Manager for Windows

But at backup we have:
Major] From: MMA@vm-1.gskb.local "StoreOnce 4500_gw1 [GW 4448:0:8142006773956779385]" Time: 06.10.2014 9:45:43
[90:54] \\172.16.9.5\Store_1\650910ac_542a71f8_06d8_001a
 Can't open device (StoreOnce error: Client not licensed to perform this operation)

What it is possible to undertake for correction of this mistake?

Whether really there is no license for this operation?

Agnar Örn Arason
Frequent Advisor

I had this same error message with a StoreOnce VSA that should have been running on an Instant-On trial License. For some reason it was not loaded but a reboot fixed that.