4965 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Storeonce 5100 "NAS Share XXX out of locks. System Memory threshold reached"

Andy___H1
Occasional Advisor

Storeonce 5100 "NAS Share XXX out of locks. System Memory threshold reached"

Hi,

As per the title to this post one of our 5100 D2D's are erroring with messages saying a NAS share is out of locks, system memory threshold reached. So our setup is:

- primary site has two 5100's writing backups to Catalyst and CIFS shares

- secondary site has one large 5100 which is the replication target for CIFS shares, and Catalyst, and has one local CIFS share also for local backups

We get the "out of locks" errors on CIFS shares only on the secondary 5100. The error messages can reference both replication CIFS targets, or the local CIFS share as out of locks. Error messages with regard to CIFS shares only occur at times where either a Catalyst replication is running to it, or a local backup to a CIFS shares, i.e. the D2D is busy with activities. But the errors only when the replication has just started, or the backups to the CIFS shares has just started, i.e. not during the replications/backups, the messages are always within a min of the relevant process starting.

However, the errors don't occur every day, i.e. we can have days of replication and local backups with no locks errors at all. So for example in January we have only had 6 errors reported with "out of locks" in 28 days. But as you can imagine, this means 6 automated incidents raised to our queue as these are reported by the D2D's as "Alerts". We'd like to avoid these.

We are running "old" firmware on all the D2Ds, 3.16.5 which we upgraded too in May 2018. We've had these errors appear since approx Nov 18, so they didn't appear straight away after the upgrade. Our 5100's have 128 DIMM memory in them.

Given the random errors we get, albeit at times of replication and local backups are running, causing CIFS shares to run out of locks, and the data we replicate and backup are not growing/changing, we are a bit bemused as to why it started erroring. We assume we just hit a phsyical limit of some kind maybe, tipped it over the edge, but then only randomly.

So are we better to simply upgrade to 3.16.7 to hopefully clear these errors, or is there something else we can do? 

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Thanks, Andy

2 REPLIES 2
Amarjit_Y
HPE Pro

Re: Storeonce 5100 "NAS Share XXX out of locks. System Memory threshold reached"

Better update to 3.16.7 or 3.18.7  has the fixes .

i would prefer to upgrade to 3.18.7

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee
Andy___H1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Storeonce 5100 "NAS Share XXX out of locks. System Memory threshold reached"

Hi,

Ok we'll plan to perform an upgrade to the 5100's to 3.18.7. We'll also take the opportunity to upgrade our 4700's also from 3.16.5 to 3.18.7. Going to take some time to arrange and action, but hopefully by the end we will see less of the out of locks errors on the 5100s.

Thanks,

Andy