4324 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

VLAN tagging and management network

sergio_rolandi
Occasional Advisor

VLAN tagging and management network

Hello guys, hope you're well

I have a dubt, I knew that if using VLAN tagging when defining one Storeonce subnet, this subnet could't be used also for management, but only for data.

My customer would like to use VLAN tagging on 4 10Gb eth port (bonded 4 LACP) both for data and management.

Storeonce is a gen4 5650, I could find the above limitation on user manual.

So the question are:

Is now possible to define data+management network using VLAN tagging on Gen 4?

If yes, is this a limitation that has been eliminated by Gen4 or starting from a specific firmware level also on Gen 3 storeonce appliances?

Thanks in advance and regards

Sergio

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: VLAN tagging and management network

Hi Sergio,

@sergio_rolandi wrote: I knew that if using VLAN tagging when defining one Storeonce subnet, this subnet could't be used also for management, but only for data.

Is that a mandatory requirement (or a software restriction) or just a guideline/best practice?

AFAIK, by reading latest HPE StoreOnce User Guide [*], it looks like it's up to administrator to decide how to manage StoreOnce networks configurations (to use HPE words: "Decide how Management and Data subnets will be assigned to port sets") and I was unable to find a rule saying explicitly that Management Subnet can't be associated to a VLAN tagged on the same port set (bonded in mode 4 or not, it doesn't matter) used also for the Data Subnet (clearly Data Subnet will have its own VLAN id tagging).

HPE_StoreOnce_Networking_Features_Overview_4.2.1.png

Note the last paragraph.

Switch side, corresponding logical (or just physical, if no bonding is involved) interface should be set to carry configured VLAN ids (in Cisco and A Series HP switching jargon that means to set the interface in trunk mode, in E Series HP switching jargon that means simply tagging the relevant logical/physical ports <- bonding here is Port Trunking...that made a lot of confusion between HP and Cisco approaches, switch side).

[*] Reference HPE StoreOnce 3620, 3640, 5200, 5250 and 5650 Systems User Guide For StoreOnce software version 4.2.1 (January 2020, 3rd Edition)  (have a look at page 200).

Davide.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner