108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLS 6500 Notification

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carl Evans_1
Advisor

VLS 6500 Notification

Having problems getting the email notification working from the VLS 6500.

Everything is configured, smtp server, mail to send to, but nothing seems to leave the VLS. Have been monitoring the traffic.

One thing I have noticed is although the IP Address is configured correctly when i type the command 'gethost' the ipaddress shows as 127.0.0.2 which is the ip address in the hosts file.

If this is causing the error, which I assume it is, how do I edit the hosts file? I have been through the manual and there doesn't seem to be a command for editing the hosts file.

Cheers!
7 REPLIES 7
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi Carl,

"gethost" command shows VLS FQDN, IP address. As this command shows VLS IP address 127.0.0.2 (localhost), it seems to be the cause of the issue in your case.

You can change the IP address besides other network related seetings of VLS using
"setConfigValue" command. Once you are done with required changes, save the changes using "commitConfig" command.

Refer following document pages 142-144.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00577484/c00577484.pdf

Carl Evans_1
Advisor

Hi Sameer,

Yeah I have already changed the IP using that command, which I actually got from that same PDF. The IP address is fine but the hosts file still displays the loopback. I need to be able to change the hosts file.

Carl
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Carl,

I guess showing loopback address in /etc/hosts file is OK. In fact, when you set IP address and host name for the VLS using "setConfigValue" command , it actually makes changes in /etc/hosts file.

Do you see new changes appearing in the /etc/hosts file after running that command? Tried editing the file directly ?
Carl Evans_1
Advisor

Sameer,

I have used the set command, this is what I initially used to set the IP on the box. It made no difference. Ideally I would like to directly edit the hosts file, how would I do this though?

Cheers,

Carl
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hello Carl
there is a commented command in one of the script that send the notification, this has been corrected in the latest v1.0.13 patch

==>Provided fix for SNMP relay server. This fix allows specification of an SNMP relay server via the ├в Outgoing Mail Server Address├в field on the ├в Edit Mail Server Settings├в from the GUI ├в Notifications├в tab.

If you already run that version, please download it again from the web and apply the fresh downloaded version(still called 1.0.13), this should solve the problem
Marino
Carl Evans_1
Advisor

Thanks Marino, we have done this and the problem is resolved, there was alos an onsite DNS issue which didn't help things.

Notifications now work.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Carl Evans_1
Advisor

Thanks Marino, we have done this and the problem is resolved, there was alos an onsite DNS issue which didn't help things.

Notifications now work.

Thanks for your help everyone.