4676 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VLS 9200 zoning

rolbraz
Advisor

VLS 9200 zoning

Hello,

one more question about zoning. We having new VLS 9200 with 4 nodes, I've created virtual library on it, but I haven't found any WWN addresses for VTL and it's drives. Should I zone the backup server and VLS nodes to see the VTL on Device manager and on DP? Also, what procedure to configure VTL on Data Protector, configure it like usual hardware library or I will need to import it or shoul use other ways?

Thanks in advance for advises.

Rolandas

P.S. This thread has been moved from Tape Libraries and Drives to Disk-Based Backup. - Hp forum moderator

Best Regards,
Rolandas
7 REPLIES 7
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

hi,

On san zoning you put the VLS nodes and VLS WWN in the same zone as the WWN from the server (s)

Once both server and VLS can see each other you can discover the WWN on the virtual lib in your VLS.

Then you can permit or deny a server on a lib or drive.

This allows you to deside which drive or lib that is visible for a server.

Dany

Eric_de_Lange
Frequent Advisor

one minor addition:

If you do have multiple backup servers, make sure you create a separate zone for each of your servers (Single Intiator Zoning). This is to protect you from rebooting hosts interrupting active backups from other servers.

have fun !

-Eric

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

And only zone in the servers that need to speak with the VLS, for example if you have other servers that are backed up but they perhaps send all their data to a backup server, you shouldn't have to zone in the other servers.
rolbraz
Advisor

Hi,

the zoning was completed and now backup servers see the  VLS nodes, but the problem is that the Data Protector seeing 8 virtual drives devices, but not the tape library. Is this normal or something wrong with zoning or VTL configuration?

I see that all drives are created with two ports, but tape library has only one, I don't know is that the reason but this is the only thing that is diferent from TL and drive configuration.
All devices are mapped to backup server.

Best Regards,
Rolandas
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You have mapped the drives, but did you also mapped the library to the server. You need to map the library in the same way as the drives.

PS. You need to map your library only to the server with library control EX cell manager), the other servers do not need to see the library.

Dany

rolbraz
Advisor

Now I slove the problem and library is visible, but the problem was that library was created on Node 0 and on port 0, when I recreated library on Node 0 and on ports 0&2 it became visible.

Best Regards,
Rolandas
rolbraz
Advisor

One more question about VLS, is there some setting to set up control path drive?

I want to configure HP Data Protector to set up VTL drives and paste fibre channel addresses but I don't know what to write in Logical Unit Number. Usually I'm pasting control path drive WWN. How to set up it on VLS or what to write in Fibre Channel settings in Logical Unit Number field?

Best Regards,
Rolandas