1752288 Members
4648 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

12.7 Upgrade - VSA networking now reporting slow connection

Colin Benson
Advisor

12.7 Upgrade - VSA networking now reporting slow connection

VSA units connected at 10Gb - ping latency <1ms - however since the upgrade to 12.7 they are reporting as having a slow network connection?

Anyone else seeing this?

Network is performing without issue and ping latency to all units is <1ms so I am unable to see an issue, this is flagging as a warning which is strange.

9 REPLIES 9
DasDing

Re: 12.7 Upgrade - VSA networking now reporting slow connection

Same Warning here... :-(

SVprodmgr
Frequent Advisor

Please check that you set up NIC teaming as described in the 12.7 release notes http://www.hpe.com/support/storevirtualmanuals

This is a new requirement for VSA 12.7 on HyperV for Windows 2016. 

Amy Mitchell

StoreVirtual Product Manager

I'm an HPE employee working in product management
NG_MUC

Same happened to us. Made an update from 12.6 to 12.7 (running on Windows Server 2012R2 - 10GBE networking). Opened a support case, but with no luck so far since HPE is strictly denying responsibility. They now simply claim in a corresponding customer advisory (https://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00026245en_us&docLocale=en_US )

that Windows Server 2016 is a prerequisite for the update (after deploying it!). Another hint is to employ NIC teaming where it wasn't necessary before. Also our additional management network (1GBE) is affected frrom the "NIC slow" warning.

Good luck to us all.

Pascal_D
Occasional Visitor

Hi

I try to install 12.7 on hyper-v 2016 with a microsoft nic teaming of 2 10gb NIC as show in the configuration guide and i have the warning interface slow.

I have 2 VSA full SSD and the performance with hyper-v 2016 is very poor, less performance than 1gb link and sata 7k200 hdd

is someone have a 2 node cluster hyper-v 2016 with VSA who have good performance ? 

Colin Benson
Advisor

coming back to this issue, I finally have a hardware configuration which allows me to team 2 x 10Gb ports as per the release notes for 12.7.

I have followed the recommendations, configured VMQs, RSS etc and still the management software reports this as a slow network connection as it reports it as 10Gb and not the 20Gb team I can see from the Windows environment.

Is this a HP support issue or is there a recommended fix?

MTVSA1.PNGMTVSA2.PNG

cmpwat
Occasional Visitor

I am seeing the same a Colin!

I have a C7000 and am using an internal vNet for my VSA but its is saying it is slow, despite confguring as per the Update Notes.

Any one else have any other ideas?  Does it affect Production usage?

Fran_delaTorre
HPE Pro

Hello Colin and Forum folks,

When the Load balancing type is set to  тАЬHyper-V portтАЭ , CMC shows warning message as тАЬThe Network Interface 'eth0' status is 'Slow'  and this message disappears when the load balancing type is changed to тАЬDynamic ModeтАЭ.

This is an expected behaviour as per documentation from Microsoft(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v-virtual-switch/rdma-and-switch-embedded-teaming ).

Hyper-V Port mode will always limit a single VM (i.e., the traffic from a single switch port) to the bandwidth that is available on a single interface and hence the CMC warning message  when the load balancing type is set to тАЬ Hyper V portтАЭ.

It's that is your case do not worry.

Francisco de la Torre Rodriguez
EMEA LHN CoE Engineer

Accept or Kudo

Roman Starun
Occasional Advisor

Collin, could you please describe RSS and VMQ options in your setup?

I couldn't find that in manual. In fact most manuals i could find lately describe 2012 R2 and 12.6 versions. 

Even when downloading 12.7 from HPE site it contents HPE_StoreVirtual_VSA_Installation_and_Configuration_Guide_TA688-63137.pdf with 12.6 manual.

Edit - i found in prevous version of release notes.

Part Number: AX696-96448a
Published: July 2017
Edition: 7

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

Hello

can you tell the document that talks about RSS/VMQ settings for 12.7 ?

thanks