1748213 Members
3118 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1TB Drives in NSM-160

Gregory J. Boehnlein
Occasional Advisor

1TB Drives in NSM-160

I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to put 1TB drives into an NSM-160?

Also, the NSM-160s I have in my lab have really old BIOS and 3Ware firmware on them. Any problems with updating them to the latest BIOS and Firmware?
22 REPLIES 22
Damon Rapp
Advisor

I have done this without a problem on 6 of my NSM160s running SANIQ7SP1. Used Seagate, Hitachi and Western Digital drives. All have worked fine.

My largest problem is very long rebuild on my Raid 5 volumes. This became problematic when I was losing Seagate drives left and right (firmware problems with the Seagate model not related to the NSM160). If it wasn't for 2 way replication, I would have lost data. Since switching to a different model of Seagate or the Western Digitals, all is great.

24TB of raw space. Great for backup to disk.

Note that this config isn't support by Lefthand and my NSM160 aren't under a service contract.
Damon Rapp
Advisor

As I re-read your post, I wanted to clarify. I didn't flash the BIOS/firmware on the 3ware card. The 3ware linux drivers are closely tied to the firmware version of the 3ware card, so I would be cautious with doing that and still having SANIQ work correctly.

I just put 1TB drives in a standard NSM160 running 7.0SP1 and haven't had any issues.

Thanks
Gregory J. Boehnlein
Occasional Advisor

Good to know. Did you do a fresh install w/ raw drives? Or replace drives one at a time and let them resync after the installation was in place?

I thought I had the NSM-160 network restore ISO around here somewhere, but all of the ISOs that I have (saniq70sp1, saniq8.00.1724) will not re-install onto this NSM-160. Keeps complaining about an invalid hardware ID type 9 and bombing out. Anyone have any pointers?
Phil Haberek

Damon,

How did you go about putting in the 1TB drives into the NSM 160? Did you just pull all the drives at once, or do them one at a time? Think 2TB drives would work now?

Phil
Gregory J. Boehnlein
Occasional Advisor

Phil,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. No, we never got an answer on it because the NSM-160's were so slow that they were not worth keeping around. We migrated to P-4500s.
Damon Rapp
Advisor

I replaced all 4 drives at once. The NSM160 boots from the 2 DOM flash modules plugged into the 2 IDE ports on the motherboard. The IDE drives plugged into the RAID controller are just for data and not for booting. So we just booted on up with four 1TB drives without doing anything special.

I have also test WD Raptors without any issue if you want 10k RPM drives but we decided to go with 1TB for the space.

As for 2 or 1.5 TB drives, I haven't tried those. I do not know if the 3ware raid controllers would support them or not.

Thanks,

Damon
Tim Smoot
Occasional Advisor

Hey folks,

I have just installed 2 TB drives in my old NSM160's and things seem to be fine.

However, I do keep getting a message 'O/S config partition not mounted', and 'O/S log partition not mounted'.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

Thanks,

Smooter
Phil Haberek

I actually successfully installed (4) 1.5TB drives into my NSM160's. RAID 5, with a useable amount of space of roughly 4.5TB!!!!!

Working great so far!
Tim Smoot
Occasional Advisor

Gregory,

Congrats!

Hey, which 1.5 TB drives did you use?

More importantly, did you actually create a management group, and LUN and attach to it?

Everything working as expected?

Thanks,

Tim