StoreVirtual Storage
1753795 Members
6683 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1TB Drives in NSM-160

Nick Laurino

I appreciate the information and will let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Nick
Shawn Pyle

As I was running out of space, I had a few volumes that were not 2-way replicated on my 3 NSM 160s which required that all nodes be available running a manager.

With my RAID-5 w/4 disks on the nodes, I was able to swap out the 250GB disks with a 2TB disks one by one while maintaining availability without a problem. It took about 2 hours per disk to rebuild, but afterwards, I was able to enable 2-way replication for all volumes.

I'm running SAN/iQ 8.1.
Damon Rapp
Advisor

Just wanted to update on this topic for those of us who don't have the money to upgrade off the 160s.

This week I started testing 2TB drives for plans to implement in our production NSM160. I found 2TB drives worked just fine in 7.1SP1 up to 8.5.

I did notice that with SAN/iQ 8.5 that it is too large to fit onto the 256meg DOMs and that the log volume is moved over to the hard drives as well as a saniq volume is added. They appear to be RAID1 across the drives. The boot volume appears to remain on the DOMs.

Where this causes a problem is if you were to shutdown the box and replace all the drives with a larger capacity drive, you would be missing the log and saniq volumes. If you replace the drives one at a time while the box is up, it will automatically rebuild the raid 1 on the larger drive. In the end you will get all the space.

Earlier in the thread it was stated that the best way to upgrade the drives was to poweroff the box and just replace all the drives. This no longer works in 8.5.

Thanks