4665 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Add New SANiQ Nodes to older SANiQ Cluster

Moynul.Ali
Advisor

Add New SANiQ Nodes to older SANiQ Cluster

Hi,

Can somebody advise me is it possible to add some New P4500 G2 Nodes that ship with a later version of SANiQ to a Multi-Site Cluster that is running an older version, such as SANiQ 8.5?

Am i right in thinking as long as i upgrade the CMC to the latest version (9.5) then this will work without having to upgrade the entire cluster?

Also will the FOM require upgrading as part of this or can this be done along with the Cluster at a later stage as at this moment in time i just wish to add the new SAN nodes to the Multi-Site Cluster.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Add New SANiQ Nodes to older SANiQ Cluster

I'm not an expert, but AFAIK they have all to be at the same version level, so you need to upgrade them.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Technically 8.5 will work together with 9.5 nodes... However U should have CMC 9.5 to manage the whole setup...

And at the end, it is indeed better to have everything running at the same level... You can do this best before you add the new nodes to the existing cluster but it can be done afterwards also...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Moynul.Ali
Advisor

Great thank you!

We will be upgrading the environment at a later stage, but just not wanting everything to be upgraded to 9.5 just yet.

So upgrading the CMC to 9.5 should let me add the nodes sounds about right from what i heard/read.

Thanks

Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

We're trying to do similar, adding a P4500 G2 node running SANiQ 9.5 in to our existing P4500 G1 management group running 8.1.

It's a no go, the 9.5 CMC won't let us add them in with a version 'is not compatible with the management group' error, which is in contrast to the 9.5 release notes which states P4000 management groups can accomodate storage systems that are running different versions of the SAN/iQ software providing they are a greater software version to the management group it is joining. HP Support have also confirmed it is a valid configuration to be running 9.5 nodes in a 8.1 management group.

Bah.

We have patched our storage systems with patches 10115 for the 8.1 nodes and 10116 for the 9.5 node which cures a high CPU usage bug when mixing the versions in the management group, but still no go.

You have any luck Moynul Ali?

Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

HP are now saying you need to be on atleast 8.5 to allow a 9.5 node to join the management group. Guess that's my weekend fun then.