5813 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add new StoreVirtual Node to Existing Gen2 Cluster

Martin Hanspeter
Occasional Advisor

Add new StoreVirtual Node to Existing Gen2 Cluster

Hello,

we┬┤ve an existing Cluster with 5 P4300 Gen2 Node with 8 x 450 15 SAS drives.

Now we need to add an other node. Can we mix the Gen2 Nodes with the new StoreVirtual Models?

Thanks for your help

Martin

11 REPLIES 11
oikjn
Honored Contributor

yes...

just make sure you get one that is similar for performance/capacity as your cluster will have as much space available as the smallest node and be as fast as the slowest node.  I think there is a conversion chart somewhere to show which gen2 goes w/ which gen3, but ask your VAR or HP.

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

In addition, the cluster will assume the "lowest common denominator" LeftHand OS version - so even though you add new nodes with the latest OS, those will revert to whatever is the oldest OS version in the existing cluster.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

HP - is that per cluster or per management group? 

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

That is per cluster...

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
oikjn
Honored Contributor

thanks
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

I have the portfolio transition table here with me but it is hard top paste some pictures here in this forum...

I can tell you that the replacement for the P4300 G2 with 8 x 450GB will be the StoreVirtual 4330 450 GB SAS Storage...

Product number is B7E17A

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/disk-storage/product-detail.html?oid=5335839#!tab=features

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

I was just talking to an HP StoreVirtual expert and what he told me was that LeftHand OS features are determined at the management group layer. 

Bart - I know you are hands on with StoreVirtual all the time.  I'm not clear if there's an option to do this at a cluster or management group but sounds like my HP product experts say management group is the way to go.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

OK mixing up some things here...

OS features set and software upgrades are indeed determined at management group level...

What I ment is the performance of mixing generations of nodes and the performance of it... This is at cluster level.

That is also the reason why it is best to create multiple clusters with preferably the same type of nodes per cluster...

For instance a cluster with midline drives for archiving and another cluster with SAS drives for performance...

RemyZ
Advisor

We were also told that the difference between OS versions may not be too large. E.g. you cannot add nodes running LefthandOS 11.0 to a cluster running SAN/iQ 9.5.

--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam