4025 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Adding additional nodes -Help!

richy_d
Occasional Contributor

Adding additional nodes -Help!

Hi,

Can you please confirm if this is the correct way to add additional storage over two sites. Currently we have two nodes on a single site mirrored. This is in production and currently in use. There is another site connected by a Fiber connection used for DR, this site is under 1ms ping response and is on the same subnet. Would I simply -

1. power down node 2 and relocate in DR (site A)
  2. add the new node 4 in DR
  3. add the new node 3 to production (site B)
  4. add both the new nodes in to the single site or change to multi-site cluster?
  5. Rearrange the order in CMC so nodes 1,3 are on site A and 2,4 are on site B 
  6. the data will automatically start striping across the new nodes and the original nodes (1&2) will still mirror to DR?
  7. Additional space will be available since the data is no longer mirrored on same site?
  8. Create 3 FOMs 

As the sites are connected as a LAN extension, would I still configure multisite?

Any steps I need to consider whilst there is live data and prevent downtime?

Many thanks 

Rich

3 REPLIES 3
richy_d
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone know if I need a multisite cluster or just configure as a 4 node single cluster because the connection to DR is fast?

Cheers

robertjongste

You can also place the 2 new nodes on the DR site and ad them to to cluster.

Wait for the restripe and your extended cluster is ready.

Why do you need 3 fom's?

regards Robert

richy_d
Occasional Contributor

Hi, the alerts tell me there isnt enough managers as a minimum of three FOMs are required for 4 nodes.

The two addtional nodes have now been added to the single site cluster and the storage nodes have been reordered to ensure stripping to the adjacent node. Does this have to be a multisite cluster or can a single site with two striped nodes mirror to the other two nodes?

At the moment this is how it looks - the original storage nodes 1 and 2 are in site A and the two new nodes 3 and 4 are listed as 'unassigned', whilst trying to add these to site A or a new site, an error appears saying 'in a multi-site cluster, a failover manager cannot be assigned to a site with storage systems' however it looks like these volumes are a RAID 10 and are striping across the new nodes.

• Anything I can do to confirm this is running correctly?
  • Does this setup need to be a multi-site cluster?

Cheers