1753604 Members
6309 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding extra memory to vsa

M.Braak
Frequent Advisor

Adding extra memory to vsa

Does anyone know if extra added memory to a vsa will be used for caching or will it not be used?
6 REPLIES 6
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding extra memory to vsa

I did.  It definitely doesn't use all available memory.  I think I heard somewhere on the forum that it uses a fixed size in proportion to the total HDD size.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The size of RAM depends of the amount of disks behind the VSA...

Recommendations are:

1GB RAM up to 4,5 TB of disks

2GB RAM from 4,5 up to 9 TB

3GB RAM from 9 to the max supported 10 TB...

More details in theP4000 VSA Installation and Configuration Guide

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01727958/c01727958.pdf

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
M.Braak
Frequent Advisor

Bart,

I know those numbers but for as i know saniq needs that amount of memory to function properly. My question is: does saniq use extra memory assigned for caching of blocks or not? (Does it increase the cache hit rate?)
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Not as far as I know... Never tested it yet...

I assume it is not since the VSA uses the virtual storage controller provided by VMware or Hyper-V and that's it...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
oikjn
Honored Contributor

it definitely does not.

because I setup a VSA only host, I had a bunch of spare memory and just assigned it to the VSAs because I figured I would try.  they run at a constant memory allocation and for an 850GB VSA, that runs 3.55GB memory w/ 2.77GB+ free.  I also have a 1.3TB VSA with 2.88GB memory that has 1.96GB free memory.

I assume if you put in a 10TB VSA it will use more memory, but it definitely does not CACHE with the free memory... I'm using Hyper-V so I figure the best way to get that is simply keep the memory free on the host... not ideal, but better than nothing.

M.Braak
Frequent Advisor

Ok so adding memory is not effective. I also want to know who is having problems with cpu usage of the vsa. I have a lot of 100% cpu usage on different vsa clusters. Adding a vcpu is not supported and the vsa also doesnt do mulithreading very well. So seems the vsa is only usable in very low workloads.