1748026 Members
3857 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Adding new Storevirtual VSA2014 (11.5) nodes to existing 10.5 setup

JazzyB
Occasional Advisor

Adding new Storevirtual VSA2014 (11.5) nodes to existing 10.5 setup

We currently have a 4 node setup using Lefthand 10.5 OS on the virtual san devices. We are using ESXi 5.5 on all our hosts.

I have just purchased 2 new VSA2014 licenses and 2 new ESXi servers and wish to add those 2 new nodes to our existing setup. They will be exactly the same size and config as the previous 4.

What are my options here? Can i retain 10.5 OS using the VSA2014 licenses or would i be forced to upgrade everything to 11.5 first? Are the license keys given with VSA2014 usable with 10.5 nodes?

This is a production environment so im a bit nervous about upgrading from 10.5 to 11.5 at this time. I would rather have 6 nodes running 10.5 if possible.

2 REPLIES 2
oikjn
Honored Contributor

once you get the keys you can always try using them in a 10.5 VSA and see if they work.  I would imagine they would.

That said, 11.5 has been out for a few months and there are no issues out there that I"m aware of.  you really should be safe to upgrade.  Other than any MPIO or snapshot software reboots, the SAN itself doesn't go down for the update.  You are well out of the early adopter phase of 11.5 now, so unless you are talking about so major mission critical costly downtime situation, then you should really upgrade to the latest version... and if you are so concerned about upgrades then you should really look into a dev. site to test this stuff on.

JazzyB
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the information. I was able to install a new 10.5 device from the same OVA as i used before. I was then able to register it using the VSA2014 license without any issues. I then ran all the available 10.5 patches to bring it up to the same level.

We do have a dev enviroment running 3 virtual P4000's at 10.5 which im planning to upgrade fairly soon. I just didnt want to be forced to upgrade production first by just adding a new node into the cluster (which unfortunately is more urgent)