New Discussion

Adding to P4500

SOLVED
Go to solution
danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

Adding to P4500

Hello,

We currently have a P4500 2 node san.  We are looking at adding to it, but I am unsure if I can add one more node to a two node system, or do I have to add 2 nodes to the existing 2 node system?

Thanks,

Dan.

6 REPLIES 6
giladzzz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Adding to P4500

Hi

There is no problem adding one more node to a two node cluster 

make sure it's the same capacity other wise if it has more capacity you will loose

disk space. Also if you have a 3 node cluster you don't need to use FOM.

Regards

danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I have a three node cluster is network raid 5 something that is recommended or will I loose performance over the mirrored system that I have now?

Thanks,

Dan.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

You can use raid 5 on a 3 node cluster i am not sure about performance

take in to account that once you add the third node your

raid 10 disks will be re-distribute on all 3 nodes.

and then you can change from network raid 10 to 5

it's an online process.

Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Overall, you will lose IOPS using network RAID 5 over network RAID-10. 

In the past, I stayed away from NWR5 as the performance drop wasn't worth the additional capacity.  Though HP did make improvements in 9.5 they say making it closer to being on-par with NWR10.  Try adding a volume using 5 and see if the performance is up to your needs.  You can mix and match the network raid levels throughout your volumes.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

all that said, it is simple to just add a single additional node to the 2-node cluster and keep network raid10.  You  will gain additional stoage space which should be equal to about 1/2 of the raw storage capacity of the node.  Adding a third node has a bunch of benefits... it adds to capacity, adds to IOPs and lets you run without the need for a FOM.  Just make sure the node is the same as the other nodes or adding it can result in a net performance loss if the node is slower since performance is based off of the slowest node.

Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

You also want to consider SANiQ version numbers. You'll probably get SANiQ 9.5 pre-loaded on the new node, you need to be on at least version 8.5 to be able to add a 9.5 node in to your existing cluster.

And make sure all the firmwares are up to date on it before you add it, including the SAS backplane and drive firmware.