StoreVirtual Storage
1752790 Members
5922 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CMC-warning: alarms may not be available

David Lockett

We have 6 brand new version 9 P4500s and the MG they are in exhibits the same issue.

Have a job logged and it is working its way up the food chain, but any news of a fix other than total destruction?

Rafael Fonseca
Occasional Advisor

David,

Don't bother with total destruction. I've completely reset all my nodes (including the VSA) and the problems persists.

Sasme boat: case logged with support, up to tier 3 (and possibly developers) now.
Jitun
HPE Pro

I THINK there might be a Patch to resolve the issue...
Dont quote me on this though :)
Dont have an ETA for it now.
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

RobertJ
Occasional Collector

I have also an issue: we have a cluster with 2 P4500 G2 SAN IQ 8.5, and a cluster with 2 P4300 G2 SAN IQ 9. After upgrading the CMC to version 9 we have the display: warning: alarms may not be available...

This is to the old management groups witch are on version 8.5. We are not planning any upgrade due to the remote copy's.

Does anyone have a solutions for this?
Jay Cardin
Frequent Advisor

I can confirm the same problem. I have two SANs, 2 P4500-G2's and 4 P4500-G1's. Both are running SAN/IQ 8.5 and are being accessed from CMC 9.
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

hi, not really related to my original post but i just updated my LHS storage to version 9 and then installed the 3 seperate updates that come after and it destroyed my csv cluster so i had to rebuild it. Basically my cluster was unable to see the disks. if anyone else has this please let me know... just interested if it was me or the software that messed up :-)
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

and one last thing. on the LHS the alarms seem to hang around... the clear button is greyed out so i am unable to delete them even though they are very old alarms. whats that all about.

Jitun
HPE Pro

phil, The Alarms in SANiQ 9 Clears itself once it is resolved.

It would remain in the Alarms Pane till it is resolved.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Jitun
HPE Pro

I would Suggest Logging a Call with HP for the Alarms issue.

But I would suggest making sure that the networking follows best practices first.

First, look for connectivity issues.

Please check on the Node, Switch and Host Server
1.) Enable Flow Control on network switches and adapters. Flow control ensures a receiver can make the sender pace its speed and is important in avoiding data loss. (Recommended)
2.) Ensure Spanning Tree Algorithm for detecting loops is turned OFF. Loop detection introduces a delay in making a port become usable for data transfer and may lead to application timeouts.
3.) Segregate SAN and LAN traffic. iSCSI SAN interfaces should be separated from other corporate network traffic (LAN).
4.) Use Non-Blocking switches and set the negotiated speed on the switches.
5.) Disable unicast storm control on iSCSI ports. Most switches have unicast storm control disabled by default. If your switch has this enabled, you should disable this on the ports connected to iSCSI hosts and targets to avoid packet loss.
6.) Configure additional Paths for High Availability; use either Microsoft MPIO or MCS (multiple connections per session) with additional NICs in the server to create additional connections to the iSCSI storage array through redundant Ethernet switch fabrics.

7.) Also note if there are any Firewalls or Security programs in use. For example, note whether Windows firewall is active ( try disabling it as a troubleshooting step) and what, if any devices might be in between the CMC and the SAN.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Aaron Weller
Occasional Advisor

We have a similar issue (and have a support case open with HP regarding it):

1. First noticed the issue that when CMC was logged into one of our 2 P4500 G2 nodes it would not show the alarms, however when logged into the other node it would show the alarms.

2. The issue got a little worse when we attempted to upgrade the Management Group with the latest patches. We get an error message: "Management group 'xxxx' has the following issues: There was a problem getting the alarms list for management group 'xxxx'.. Canceling all further installations.

3. We then used the "Support Upgrades" method of installing patches individually from the files however we received exactly the same error message.

Jitin, do you know if there is an update that can fix this - and if yes, how is the update applied?