StoreVirtual Storage
1748210 Members
2774 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can I dedicated SSD to a specific volume?

Colin Benson
Advisor

Can I dedicated SSD to a specific volume?

I have a customer who wants to ensure their SQL database sits on the SSD disks on their VSA platform - I am struggling to see a mechanism for ensuring this as I don't see a way of building a volume and assigning this to the SSD disks only?

I can only see the entire available cluster disk space which if course includes the Tiered SSD & SAS disks - which I would imagine is by design.

Anyone been able to see a way around this?

5 REPLIES 5
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I dedicated SSD to a specific volume?

Hi

the only way to do what you want I would describe it as a work around.

if you have SSD + SAS disks your VSA should be adaptive optimization capable

that meens that when you create volumes you can mark them in the advanced options

as adaptive optimization permitted this meens data is writen first to SSD disks and when

space on SSD in finished data not used goes to SAS disks.

when a volume is marked as adaptive optimization no permited the procces is reversed

that is if you plan your disks and mark only those you want as adaptive optimization permitted 

you can ensure. your data is on SSD.

Regards

give a KUDO if this helps

David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

That is how we do it here - although it does not seem to do much for performance, the SSD tiering on the Storevirtual platform is pretty flat from what I have seen over a few of them.

Regards.

David Tocker
Assen
HPE Pro

Hi Colin,

you could create the VSA cluster with SSD hdd only for the data drives.

This way the Volumes in this cluster will be SSD only.

BR

Assen

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Roman Starun
Occasional Advisor

I have the same question, and want to clarify the solution.

By saying "create VSA cluster" you mean installation of new VSA VMs? So there is no option to create something like LUNs on VSA (dedicate disks for defined servers)?

So this solution needs separate license just to separate SSD and HDD storage. Do we need dedicated VLAN's for new cluster, or even NICs? (10g case) 

Fran_delaTorre
HPE Pro

Hello Roman,

if you would like to use same SSD+HDD Storevirtual solution then you would need to enable Adaptive Optimization in order to be able to use Tiering,

Francisco de la Torre Rodriguez
EMEA LHN CoE Engineer

Accept or Kudo