1752738 Members
5380 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can not access SAN from new network segment

KentUB
Occasional Visitor

Can not access SAN from new network segment

Up to now we have had a single network segment in our entire bldg. I have built a new network for the data center and plan to move all servers into that segment. I moved one machine into the new segment and I am unable to access the P4300-G2 SANS from that machine. I am unable to ping them or use CMC to connect to them on the old segment. I can ping all other machines, including the ESXi hosts.

My concern is that when I move the ESXi and SAN machines into the new segment, I will not have access from my Desktop. I have double checked the TCP\IP settings and the Gateway is properly configured.

Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Can not access SAN from new network segment

make sure your gateway and subnets are configured correctly.  Without those it you will have a problem.  the SANiQ is perfectly suilable for internet communcation as long as you configure those settings correctly (and maybe also DNS).

KentUB
Occasional Visitor

I have checked and rechecked Gateway and subnet settings on all machines involved. However it is only the two SANs that are effected. So for instance, lets say the SANS are at 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.12, I can ping 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.13 from the machine at 10.0.3.101, but not the IP addresses for the SANs.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

when you say SANs, do you mean storage nodes? 

Did you verify the NODES have the correct gateway and netmask?  if those aren't configured correctly then you will have the same problem.

Since you can contact 10.0.0.10/13 from 10.0.3.101 that tells me that the configuration problem is not on your computer, but that doesn't rule out a configuration problem on the SAN NODES.  Unfortunately, that means you will have to put a computer onto the same netmask as the SAN so you can make that fix.

KentUB
Occasional Visitor

Yes, storage Nodes.

I found another article deep in this forum that indicates that the nodes must be on the same subnet as any computer connecting to it.  Although this particular article deals with VLANS, and this is not VLANed it seems to be discussing the very same issues I am having. So I believe what I am going to need to do is setup CMC on a machine in the new subnet and use remote desktop to use CMC.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-StoreVirtual-HP-LeftHand/P4300-Using-CMC-when-iSCSI-is-placed-in-VLAN/td-p/4660040#.UdMCpjvVCig

oikjn
Honored Contributor

once you configure your nodes with a correct gateway and netmask you will NOT need to have the CMC on the same network segment as the nodes, but it looks like you either didn't configure the gateway or its misconfigured on the nodes so now you will TEMPORARILY have to have a computer w/ CMC on the same subnet in order to fix the settings.

I can tell you 100% that once the network settings are configured correctly you do not have to have the CMC on the same subnet as the SAN...  I don't.