108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't attach to new cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
teledata
Respected Contributor

Here's the configuration you would likely run to maintain quorum due to a single node failure:

2 nodes (each running manager plus FoM)
3 nodes (all 3 running manager)
4 nodes (3 out of 4 running manager or 4 managers plus FOM)
5 nodes (all 5 running manager)

So once you have 3 or more nodes you no longer need to run the FOM VM. When LeftHand first introduced this concept you had to buy at least 3 units to have an automated failover cluster, many customers only wanted to start with buying 2 units, so they introduced the virtual FOM VM appliance as a solution.
http://www.tdonline.com
BillKOM
Occasional Advisor

Thanks all,

I decided to blow it away and start again now that I have a better grasp on what's going on.

Bryan: No sweat, brother.
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Install the FOM under ESX and then give it an IP address / mask just like a real piece of h/w or a VSA.
Once powered up just use the CMC to discover it just like a real piece of h/w or a VSA.
Once discovered/found just add in the FOM to your management group - that's it !
Note: Only 1 FOM ***OR*** 1 VM per management group.
Always better to run with an ODD number of managars/FOM config either 3 or 5.
HP recommend that you do not run with more then 5 TOTAL managers even if you have say 20 nodes in a management group.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
BillKOM
Occasional Advisor

OK folks, the missing FOM was the entire problem. Now that I've got FOM hooked in, my cluster is performing perfectly.

It might have been handy to have a dialog pop up after you add your second node that the FOM is required for auto-failover if you aren't adding more nodes.

Thank you again everyone for your assistance. When you have so much thrown at you so quickly, you don't have the time to read everyone's 400-page manual. Without a QuickStart guide, this forum was in dispensable in getting me up & running fast.