StoreVirtual Storage
1748092 Members
5248 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can you replicate between SATA and SAS nodes

jim scales

Can you replicate between SATA and SAS nodes

Can you replicate volumes on a SAS node to volumes on SATA node? and have the different volumes replicate at different intervals?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business) to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. - Hp Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Jim, are you talking about the P4000 (Lefthand) ?
That should work fine (replication and different intervals).
jim scales

i want to replicate the volume from a SAS node to the volume of a SATA node. I was told by VAR that you can't do that. I find it hard to believe that you can't.
thanks.
jim scales

And yes. I was talking about P4000 Leftand.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Maybe the VAR was thinking about synchronous replication (=n-way mirroring). But even here I don't see a show-stopper - it is just that the smallest node will limit the capacity due to the way sync. replication (=Network RAID) works and you would be mixing fast&slow nodes.
jim scales

ok. I don't want to use network raid though. i want to use the SATA as a backup of my SAS.
I run VMs on the SAS node and want to do asynch replication from SAS to SATA for backup.
Vhato

I just purchased the P4500 and P4300 as well with the the intention of doing the exact same thing. The sales engineer said I could. When the onsite engineer arrived, he said no.
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

Jim,

The answer to both questions is yes. Create seperate clusters for the SAS and SATA nodes so that you get the best performance from the SAS nodes and setup remote copy snapshot schedules for each volume according to your requirements using a SAS based volume as the source and a SATA based volume as the target.

Regards, Mike.