1753731 Members
4667 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Changing cluster VIPs

oikjn
Honored Contributor

Changing cluster VIPs

I'm doing a makeover of our iscsi network layout and it is going to involve the changing IPs of both nodes and VIPs.  Has anyone ever done this?

I assume I can just add an additional VIP to each cluster and simply retarget my initiators accordingly?  If so, can I do a swing migration where I have both VIPs active for a period?

As for changing the IPs of each node... is there a good way?  Can I simply change them at the console and have the cluster figure out the change or do I have to remove the node from the cluster/mgt group frist?  I would like to avocie having to do a bunch of re-stripes if possible but if its the only way its the only way.

3 REPLIES 3
Hiren N Dave
Valued Contributor

You can change both IPs from CMC, your CMC host should be able to access both networks so after change of IPs, CMC can discover it.

Rgds,
Dave
I am an HP Employee

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Dave,

I wasn't too worried about access from the CMC if I change the IP (say from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.2.1).

What I'm more concerned about is if I can go from 10.0.0.1 to having that AND 10.0.2.1 at the same time.

Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Did this back in 8.1 and I didn't run into issues.  I was staging the IP's before we did a site move and IP redesign. 

When you add the VIP to the cluster, ping it and ensure you get a response.  Add a new test volume on a test machine and point it to only the new VIP.  You should be able to access it just fine.

The big thing will be repointing all of your initiators/discovery portals.