StoreVirtual Storage
1748032 Members
4794 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Clone volume possible without SmartClone?

Danny82

Clone volume possible without SmartClone?

Hi,

I'm new to HP Lefthand. In the past years i've used a Dell EqualLogic with a Citrix Xenserver setup.

Now I have a HP P4500 SAN with some servers and a VMware setup.

In my setup I want every VM is located on it's own volume on the SAN, so I can manage snapshot settings per volume. I've installed the first VM (Windows 2012) as a default VM, so now I want to clone the volume in the CMC of HP, and then add it as a new VM in VMware. After that rename it, change login/ip settings and install soms specific software on it.

My question is: how to clone a volume in the HP CMC? I've tried SmartClone, which works fine, but then I have a shared snapshot between the original volume and the clone volume and i'm not feeling fine with it (performance issues?). I need 8 copies of the original VM....

In my good old EqualLogic I can push one button to clone a volume, even it was possible to create a new volume from a snapshot.

Can someone help me with it? Or is it ok to simply use SmartClone and don't look for the shared snapshot which I can't delete (because "it's used by multiple volumes")?

Thanks,

Danny from Holland

2 REPLIES 2
Jamester
Occasional Advisor

I use remote copy to same MG and then make it a primary volume.

AlanByrneIT
Advisor

I've blogged about this here- http://alanbyrneit.wordpress.com/

I've detailed all the steps involved to duplicate a primary volume as another primary volume, hopefully you'll find it useful.