108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Cluster Order question

SOLVED
Go to solution
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Cluster Order question

I have four VSA servers running on two hosts and I want to make sure that while using network raid10 that the loss of a single host does not take the cluster down.  I could make this a "fake" multi-site cluster, but I would rather keep everything at one site so under typical operations, my computers can make use of all four VSAs.

Can this be done or does each volume have a different strip plan?  Assuming I have VSA host names VSA-1,VSA-2,VSA-3,VSA-4 and they are shown in the cluster group in that order, is there an order that I can use to make sure I don't lose access to the raid10 drives when I lose two VSAs?

2 REPLIES 2
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

If you have networkRAID10 and the order of nodes in the cluster is 1, 2, 3 and 4, then you have to put the even nodes on 1 server and the odd nodes on the other... So 1 and 3 on 1 server and 2 and 4 on the other...

Know thwt it is not officially supported / meant to be that 2 VSA are running on 1 server... But yes it works...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
oikjn
Honored Contributor

thanks.  I kind of figured that was the way it should be.

Its not idea and we aren't finished with our hardware deployment, but I actually have three hosts and one of them has >2x the disk capacity (space and IO) of the other two so until I get all the hosts to spec, I wanted to get as much IO and capacity out of the VSAs while maintaining the raid1 availability so if I lost the host with the two VSAs everything won't go down.