StoreVirtual Storage
1752579 Members
4059 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Cluster Swap Without Downgrading Lefthand OS to Join Existing Management Groups

mjsmith11
Occasional Advisor

Cluster Swap Without Downgrading Lefthand OS to Join Existing Management Groups

A client just purchased two 4530 2TB MDL storage nodes with the plan to replace two nodes in an existing cluster. The cluster consists of three nodes two (2) P4500s and one (1) P4500G2.

The issue is that the management group version is 9.5 because of the P4500s and that is preventing me from adding the new 4530 nodes to the MG so I can do a cluster swap.

I’m thinking that downgrading the new nodes to 9.5 is my only option at this time. I just wanted to find out if this is my only course of action.

The HP StoreVirtual User Guide says and I could not find any other method.

1. Add the storage systems to swap to the management group that contains the cluster.

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03686039-2.pdf page 139

I read the posts that mention using Remote Snapshots as a possibility. This would not be an ideal solution for several reasons.

Is there any way to do the cluster swap between the new SotreVirtual systems and the existing clusters without downgrading the StoreVirtual 4530 machines to OS 9.5?

1 REPLY 1
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Cluster Swap Without Downgrading Lefthand OS to Join Existing Management Groups

did you try and add them and they failed?  I don't remember the exact cross compatability range, but you can definitely add higher version nodes to an older cluster, all that happens is they run in a compatability range w/ redunced features.  Might be that 9.5 is the cutoff because of the switch to x64 OS.  

If it is preventing it, you might want to try v10.5 instead of 9.5 as there probably ins't a 9.5 for that new of a unit.