1748123 Members
3274 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cluster size question

djuuic
Occasional Contributor

Cluster size question

Pretty simple question and I think I already know the answer, but I'd just like to confirm.

We currently have a cluster of 2 nodes with 8x 750GB disks each. If we added 2 nodes with 8x 1TB disks to that cluster, some of the space on the new ones would be wasted because they would only be able to use as much as the smallest nodes in the cluster.

Now if we wanted to remove the smaller nodes and replace them with more of the larger ones later on, which of these would happen?

a) The cluster would resize itself to use all of the space on the 8x 1000 nodes.
or
b) It would still only use 8x 750 per node.

I would think that it would be 'a', but just want to make sure.
5 REPLIES 5
Jitun
HPE Pro

I was wondering why not just create a new cluster with the new nodes and keep the existing setup as is ?
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
My understanding is that you are correct. Once all the nodes in the SAME cluster are the SAME size then you will have all the space available to you.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
bart verberne

it would be more 'safe' to define 2 seperate clusters and use replication or simply copy the data. The rebuild of the arrays when adding or deleting the nodes can take quite a while. And if during that time a node is compromised, could result depending on a number of factors in loss of data.
djuuic
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.
djuuic
Occasional Contributor

Closing