5227 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Cluster swap and scheduled remote copies

RemyZ
Advisor

Cluster swap and scheduled remote copies

Hi,

we're going to perform a cluster swap on a cluster on which scheduled remote copies are configured (that is: volumes on this cluster are copied on a remote other cluster). Does anyone know if these schedules are swapped to the new nodes?

Regards,

Remy

--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam
4 REPLIES 4
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Cluster swap and scheduled remote copies

do you mean something like a storage system swap or storage system exchange?  I"m not aware of any "cluster swap"

what are you trying to do?  If you are trying to change one remove one node from a cluster while adding in a new node, that would be a storage system exchange and you can continue to operate normally while the data is migrated away from the system leaving the cluster while the migration takes place.

RemyZ
Advisor

A cluster swap is described in the user guide on page 139 (http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03686039-2.pdf  "Upgrading the storage systems in a cluster using cluster swap").

I suspect the configured schedules are moved over to the new set of nodes, but I would be nice if someone could confirm this.

--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam
oikjn
Honored Contributor

the link isn't working, but I did a search in the manual on the v11 CD and I see it references cluster swap effectively a multi-system exchange as I originally said. You should ask support if you are nervous, but I see no reason why the process should require any change or disruption of your snapshots (assuming you don't turn up the rebuild rate so high the rebuild dominates the cluster's IO capability). It sounded like you were thinking you had to create a 2nd cluster and do a migration in that manner, but this isn't the case... just have the nodes in the management group and then you can swap them with the nodes in the existing cluster.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>the link isn't working

The link has an extra comma at the end:

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03686039-2.pdf

RemyZ can correct it by using Post Options > Edit Reply.