StoreVirtual Storage
1748170 Members
4191 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Comments/Opinions on upgrading to v10?

Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

Comments/Opinions on upgrading to v10?

Just wanted to get a few comments/opinions from anyone that has taken the v10 upgrade plunge. I'm on 9.5 and had planned to do mine over our Christmas holiday break (K-12 education...so off for a few days :-), but wanted to see if anyone has run into any issues or caveats to be aware of. Anxious to get this done so I can implement my new Windows 2012 Server Hyper-V cluster. 

15 REPLIES 15
RonsDavis
Frequent Advisor

There seem to be some passwords getting scrambled in the upgrade. 

I only did one node, and then couldn't log in. People doing whole clusters have had to reset the passwords for their management groups. 

I also saw a post in this forum about application managed snapshots failing to log in. Probably related. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I had a problem with the upgrade in that the default gateway setting would be cleared on the node suring the install and cause the upgrade to hang on each node until I manually updated the gateway.  A pain in the ass, but I did get the upgrade to complete without causing any downtime on the system and so far everything seems to be running ok...  v10 was a bit of a bummer to me seemed more like a v9.5.x or maybe 9.6, certanly not a v10 type upgrade when you see the "new feature list".

Come on HP, where is iscsi-unmap or SMI-S support if you can't handle de-dupe?!??!

mc1903-1
Advisor

Are you using any CLI/CLIQ scripts..?

If you are, just be aware that the 'keyfile' attribute has been removed from all v10 CLIQ commands..!

You are now required to store the userID/password credentials in plain text within the CLIQ script..!

A step back in security if you ask me...

M

oikjn
Honored Contributor

that is annoying.   I wasn't aware of that, but I've managed to avoid the need for CLI scripts other than ones I keep in my own control and not used on a regular schedule.  I will make a note of this and change everything to a new user account just for scripts where I change the password right after I use the script.

I gotta say v10 has been a bit of a bummer here.  I haven't noticed any remote snapshot improvements and I've yet to see any real benefits to the upgrade beyond the CMC. 

Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys for the comments. Everything went fairly well as I was doing an upgrade to 10 and swapping out my 2910al switches for some new 3800 stacked switches at the same timeslot. Did not run into any messed up password, IP settings, etc... issues as some of you mentioned. Changed my setup from ALB to Link Aggregation Dynamic Mode since I could now do LACP trunks using ports across switches in my stack. My only warning is about one of my node NIC ports being "slow". Might bounce that node to see what that does.

Northwoods
Frequent Advisor

Only upgrade the DR site and test environment to SAN I/Q 10 so far. If running any of the DSM drivers/application snapshot extensions make sure to update them first, otherwise went pretty painlessly. Will be updating production in January likely, not for Server 2012 but for the supposed remote-copy improvements.

danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

Running version 9.5.00.1215.

I tried upgrading our 5 node vsa cluster and it failed and brought down the cluster and rebooted.  Now two of the 5 nodes are half way started an upgrade, as I see from our monitoring system

Usage (78%) of disk "/mnt/upgraded" exceeds 75%.

I have a ticket in and the problem has gone to engineering.  At this point I will be holding off....

oikjn
Honored Contributor

looks like a new update just came out for v10 that addresses any of those upgrade issues.  No more default gateway problem :)

virtualmatrix
Advisor

Just wanted to post some happiness on the 10.0 upgrade...  :-)

After seeing the re-release (1896) that fixes various update process issues, I took the plunge and updated our SAN with 17 VSA storage nodes.  The process was quick and painless.  No problems whatsoever.