Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
StoreVirtual Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments/Opinions on upgrading to v10?

Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

Comments/Opinions on upgrading to v10?

Just wanted to get a few comments/opinions from anyone that has taken the v10 upgrade plunge. I'm on 9.5 and had planned to do mine over our Christmas holiday break (K-12 education...so off for a few days :-), but wanted to see if anyone has run into any issues or caveats to be aware of. Anxious to get this done so I can implement my new Windows 2012 Server Hyper-V cluster. 

15 REPLIES
RonsDavis
Frequent Advisor

Re: Comments/Opinions on upgrading to v10?

There seem to be some passwords getting scrambled in the upgrade. 

I only did one node, and then couldn't log in. People doing whole clusters have had to reset the passwords for their management groups. 

I also saw a post in this forum about application managed snapshots failing to log in. Probably related. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I had a problem with the upgrade in that the default gateway setting would be cleared on the node suring the install and cause the upgrade to hang on each node until I manually updated the gateway.  A pain in the ass, but I did get the upgrade to complete without causing any downtime on the system and so far everything seems to be running ok...  v10 was a bit of a bummer to me seemed more like a v9.5.x or maybe 9.6, certanly not a v10 type upgrade when you see the "new feature list".

Come on HP, where is iscsi-unmap or SMI-S support if you can't handle de-dupe?!??!

mc1903-1
Advisor

Are you using any CLI/CLIQ scripts..?

If you are, just be aware that the 'keyfile' attribute has been removed from all v10 CLIQ commands..!

You are now required to store the userID/password credentials in plain text within the CLIQ script..!

A step back in security if you ask me...

M

oikjn
Honored Contributor

that is annoying.   I wasn't aware of that, but I've managed to avoid the need for CLI scripts other than ones I keep in my own control and not used on a regular schedule.  I will make a note of this and change everything to a new user account just for scripts where I change the password right after I use the script.

I gotta say v10 has been a bit of a bummer here.  I haven't noticed any remote snapshot improvements and I've yet to see any real benefits to the upgrade beyond the CMC. 

Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys for the comments. Everything went fairly well as I was doing an upgrade to 10 and swapping out my 2910al switches for some new 3800 stacked switches at the same timeslot. Did not run into any messed up password, IP settings, etc... issues as some of you mentioned. Changed my setup from ALB to Link Aggregation Dynamic Mode since I could now do LACP trunks using ports across switches in my stack. My only warning is about one of my node NIC ports being "slow". Might bounce that node to see what that does.

Northwoods
Frequent Advisor

Only upgrade the DR site and test environment to SAN I/Q 10 so far. If running any of the DSM drivers/application snapshot extensions make sure to update them first, otherwise went pretty painlessly. Will be updating production in January likely, not for Server 2012 but for the supposed remote-copy improvements.

danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

Running version 9.5.00.1215.

I tried upgrading our 5 node vsa cluster and it failed and brought down the cluster and rebooted.  Now two of the 5 nodes are half way started an upgrade, as I see from our monitoring system

Usage (78%) of disk "/mnt/upgraded" exceeds 75%.

I have a ticket in and the problem has gone to engineering.  At this point I will be holding off....

oikjn
Honored Contributor

looks like a new update just came out for v10 that addresses any of those upgrade issues.  No more default gateway problem :)

Just wanted to post some happiness on the 10.0 upgrade...  :-)

After seeing the re-release (1896) that fixes various update process issues, I took the plunge and updated our SAN with 17 VSA storage nodes.  The process was quick and painless.  No problems whatsoever.

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

Had anyone success in upgrading a VSA on Hyper-V?

We have 3 nodes and a FOM, 2 of them are within VMWare, and 1 on Hyper-V. 

Setup seems to stall on Hyper-V with Initialisation. It seems nothing was partly upgraded, but it stopps us upgrading the management group. 

Could it be a memory issue? 
I figured too late, that the new requirements for 1,5 TB is 3 GB, which was 1 GB earlier. 

But nethertheless, even on VMWare with 1 GB RAM and 1,5 TB it could initialize the setup. 

I changed it to 1,5 GB RAM and no change. We will have to get more ram on that server first and then try it with 3 GB. But somehow I doubt this is the reason, as checks don't warn you, aswell as it was only the init, which worked fine on VMware. 

Last message always was: 

Received an UpgradeScriptStatus message from the install server running on the node It was : platform configuration: '/mnt/lhnupgrade/platforms/HVNSM.sh' ...

Thanks

Patrick

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I upgraded hyper-v VSAs "without" issue.  The upgrade process stalled for me while the CMC said it was waiting for node.  Turned out the default gateway was reset and I had to manually open the VSA's console and reset the IP information for the node.  Once reset and rebooted everything continued along just fine.  This was supposed to be fixed in the latest v10 patch.

Are you really memory strapped?  I thought the suggestion was something like 4GB.  I know they upped the reccomendation with v10, but I can't remember what it is.

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

Hi, ok good to hear. I checked the issue with the gateway but that was there. So you mean rebooting the node during the setup hangs could help?

Didn't to lot of updates with Lefthands so far, as we have our P4500 on Main Site, and VSA on our local site only since May last year, and those updates still scare me, especially when something hangs. After the 60 minute timeout I rebooted all nodes and nothing was installed. At the moment I just want to update our local site. 

So the only assumption is still RAM (even that VMWare didn't have the problem), we will go for recommended settings. And probably as it goes through our firewall into the ISCSI LAN, that the session expires and CMC doesn't pick it up again? We noticed disconnections to our VSA's from CMC pretty quick, which is a result of shorter session time outs. Haven't thought of that earlier. Might be Hyper-V takes longer to answer as VMWare... 

What I wonder at memory is: "At least this much memory", what's the advantage of more memory, as it's not used for caching?

About memory, this is what they say in the guide

Table 4 Memory requirements for VSA for Hyper-V disks
Total capacity of all installed disks Requires at least this much memory
5 GB to 500 GB 3 GB
500 GB to 5 TB 4 GB
5 TB to 10 TB 5 GB

Thanks

Patrick

danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

Patrick,

I have the same problem as you.  I have a support ticket, in, but at the moment guys at HP don't see anything in the logs.  It has gone to engineering, so I don't expect a fix for a while.  My nodes all have 6GB of memory and 3.5 TB of storage, running on esxi 5.1.

I also tried the latest update with my laptop on the same subnet to see if my issue was due to the gateway problem, and it still didn't upgrade.  Maybe it won't ever upgrade now that it is broken.

Thinking I might just rebuild it on 10.

Dan.

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

Hi,

did you get this issue solved?

Did it also stop at the first node or done more than that?

I haven't retried yet as we wanted to be sure having enough ram before doing so. 

But any updated info would be useful so I know if I should prepare needing support ;)

Thanks

Patrick 

danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

Originally when I tried upgrading to 10.0.00.1888 and it failed on node 4, and 5 out of the 5 nodes that I have.

I was about to rebuild ours on version 10, but I thought I would give the udpate another try after they released version 10.0.00.1896.  And it worked, but I did have to reboot node 4 and 5 to clear out the unfinished upgrade from the upgrade partition.

Dan.