1748121 Members
3274 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Converting RDM volume from MBR to GPT - using snapshot as backup data source

GregLVPC
Frequent Visitor

Converting RDM volume from MBR to GPT - using snapshot as backup data source

Is it a correct assumption that if I mount a snapshot/assign the snapshot itself to the server as a separate drive letter, even if I delete the original's partition or if gptgen does not work/blows up my partition, I can still restore data from this snapshot to the newly created GPT volume?  

I just want to be sure that a purposeful (or accidental) deletion of the disk and/or partition within my W2k8 machine won't render my snapshot useless.   It's a necessary evil, as I must convert from MBR to GPT to allow the volume to grow beyond 2TB. 

Thanks in advance!!! 

2 REPLIES 2
GregLVPC
Frequent Visitor

Re: Converting RDM volume from MBR to GPT - using snapshot as backup data source

Just wanted to reply here that gptgen worked perfectly and converted my volume to gpt without any data loss, and the best part was it only took a couple of minutes (I was unsure how long to expect it to run for.) 

I did some testing on a secondary VM and did determine that the snapshot is a true volume backup for partition table as well as data, so even if the gptgen had messed me up the snapshot would be able to be used as a quick restore back to the status prior to the utility running.  

Why didn't Microsoft release a tool like this instead of a KB article stating you have to remake the entire volume is beyond me, but I'm glad somebody did it! 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Converting RDM volume from MBR to GPT - using snapshot as backup data source

careful.  A snapshot is NOT a backup of your data as much as a CHANGE THRACKING method.  If you lose the root of that snapshot you lose the snapshot as well.  Shapshots are great if you are going to do a quick change that you want to be able to roll back to undue, but if you plan on using that instead of a traditional backup you are going to be sorry when the day comes that you need to restore from your backup.

To be clear a snapshot is NOT a true backup of your data and only a refrence point where it starts tracking changes relitive to the original volume, so if your original volume is lost, your snapshots only hold the change information which means all your data is lost.