5578 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

DiskTemperatureTest

rho_ram
Occasional Visitor

DiskTemperatureTest

Hi all,

I am experiencing with some new drives for our p4300g2 SAN we have. The drives are IBM-XIV ST33000650SS SAS 6.0 GBPS 3TB.

I have the drives installed fine and using SAN/IQ 10.5, all the firmware upgrades done on the unit with one problem which it seems that i can't solve. When i'm trying to run the upgrades reported by CMC i'm running into an issue saying that "One or more diagnostic tests failed......". When i'm looking unde Diagnostics "DiskTemperatureTest" fails.

The HDD temperature can't be read for some reason and i don't know why. Would it be possible to skip this error so i can run the upgrades ?

5 REPLIES 5
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

Re: DiskTemperatureTest

Are these supported drives?

If they are they should not have a IBM in front of them.

rho_ram
Occasional Visitor

The drives are IBM 3TB Seagate drives. Are they supported on the P4300 G2, it seems that the answer for this question is no since no matter what i do can't pass the Disk Temperature Alert test. everything else works fine system recognized the entire size of the disks so i will assume that the HP branded 3TB(MB3000FBNWV - ST33000650SS) disks will work.

Can somebody confirm this ?

Thank you for you response.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

in the top you say its supported and the bottom you say its the HP branded one thats supported.  If its the HP one thats supported and not the IBM one you are out of luck and using a non-supporrted drive.  Hate to say it, but w/ SAN's everybody is very specific and you must have a drive that actually matches 100% to the supported list not one that is built on one that is on the suppoted list.

If you want to use your own drives, you should license VSAs.... thats what we did.

Alex_Wilson
HPE Blogger

Hi All,

The P4300 is an appliance delivered with specific drives and it is not supported to replace these drives with larger capacities. The largest MDL SAS drive these would have shipped with is 1TB.

If you need to increase your available capacity then you can add additional P4300 nodes or the latest StoreVirtual 4330 nodes using the same MDL SAS drives into your existing cluster. Or you can create a 2nd cluster with StoreVirtual 4530 nodes that are available with 3TB drives and migrate volume online across using our Peer Motion functionality.

If you want to make use of those drives then as suggested the VSA could be a way to do this, as long as these drives are behind a platform supported by either VMware ESX or Microsoft Hyper-V.

Emilo
Trusted Contributor

Yes you can skip the error by running the upgrades in support mode.

I ve posted those intructions so just look for the key word 'support upgrades'