5858 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESX round robin IO operations Limit parameter for P4300

marcin_w
Advisor

ESX round robin IO operations Limit parameter for P4300

Hello

I configured my 2 x P4300. I am getting a better transfer rate than on the MSA2012i which I currently use for ESX boxes.

The question is:
Have you changed the IO operetion limit for the Round Robin? I've read that it is good practice to change it in order to improve the performance. The suggested value for Dell/EqualLogic is 3. Any suggestion for P4300?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: ESX round robin IO operations Limit parameter for P4300

Hi,

All info can be found in this document:
http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/master_ESS-Trilogy-4/uk/en/pdf/Documentations/Virtualization/Running%20VMware%20vSphere%204%20on%20HP%20P4000%20SAN.pdf

And yes, Round Robin is the way to go!

Kr,
Bart
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
marcin_w
Advisor

Hi

Thanks for reply. I read this document before I started configuring the P4300. Unfortunatelly, it does not provide answer to my question.

Marcin
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,
All the installations I did upto now I never changed this value. I never heard before either that this one needed to be changed in Lefthand environments...

Kr,
Bart
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

I tried this tweaking in a test environment setup and was getting a some gain in iops for a "RealLife-60%Rand-65%Read" test (about 5%).
Gains can be larger is pure sequential IO.

In production environment, I leave this setting to default (1000).
marcin_w
Advisor

Thanks for all replies!