StoreVirtual Storage
1752772 Members
4687 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ESXI5 + vsa (san IQ 9.5) - multiple nics - one is flexible, one is vmxnet3?

Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

ESXI5 + vsa (san IQ 9.5) - multiple nics - one is flexible, one is vmxnet3?

I am confused a bit by the setup guide --

When I imported the VSA OVF file, it created a VM with 2 nics - one of them (adapter 1) is flexible, the other is vmxnet3

I thought that we were not supposed to do CMC bonding in the VSA - if so, why two nics? And - why are they two different types??

Can I delete the first nic, and re-add another vmxnet3?

Or, should I use only one nic?

Also - the VSA install/configure guide is pretty vague about the vswitch arrangement - usually for p4000 deployments I create 3 vswitches: vswitch0 for management, vswitch1 for iscsi and vswitch2 for vms. However, the guide seems to suggest that I should create a vms port group in the iscsi vswitch, and have the VSA nic(s) use that. Later though the guide says "the virtual switch should be entirely dedicated to vsa and not used for any other traffic". Huh?

Which is the best way to go?

5 REPLIES 5
Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

Re: ESXI5 + vsa (san IQ 9.5) - multiple nics - one is flexible, one is vmxnet3?

So I am begining to think I should just delete one of the nics - and prbly the older "flexible" one. Since we are not supposed to do bonding within the CMC/VSA itself, what is the point of the VSA having 2 nics in the first place?

It just seems odd that the OVF would create the VM this way - why? Should I be using the 2nd nic? How/why?

M.Braak
Frequent Advisor

I always delete the flexible interface. Dont know why the ovf has two nics.
Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

yep I just got off the phone with support - and they said "just disable it".

It apparently is there, to enable "advanced" configs where you may have a private iSCSI vlan with no outside access, and then you can put the second nic into a management ip space ....

meh - why the hell would they not update the stupid documentation? Good grief ....

Thnx for the confirmatuion, M. Braak!

M.Braak
Frequent Advisor

No problem..

I already thought it would be for management.. Indeed the documentation isn't always complete and proper.

Performance counters are also very bad documented when you want to use them for advanced troubleshooting. They aren't always what you think they are....

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Can the second NIC actually be used for management? I tried putting the second NIC on a separate VMware portgroup, but the CMC was unable to connect to the VSA. What was strange was that the CMC actually discovered the iSCSI interface, as if the two vNICs in the VSA were bridged. I guess disabling the second NIC is the only option?

I was looking forward to being able to use the CMC and SNMP on a different network than my iSCSI traffic.