Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty snapshot - it takes too long to replicate

Ovidiu Marangoci
Occasional Contributor

Empty snapshot - it takes too long to replicate

Hello,

We have 4 P4500 nodes configured in 2 Management Group and 2 clusters. We have configured scheduled remote snapshots for volumes to replicate in the remote cluster. If the snapshots contains some data, the transfer takes place immediatelly, but if we have empty snapshots, the time it takes to finish the replication is enormous, from 45 MINUTES to 1 HOUR.
This thing happens only with large volumes, from 1 TB. I tested using smaller volumes and it didn't happen. We encounter this situation with all the large volumes.
All the nodes are using 8.5 SAN/IQ because we were had to downgrade from 9.0 because this last version of SAN/IQ is impossible to use.
Best regards,
2 REPLIES
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Re: Empty snapshot - it takes too long to replicate

i dont see any known issues ,but try using the best practices from the below document .

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01750136/c01750136.pdf
Ovidiu Marangoci
Occasional Contributor

Re: Empty snapshot - it takes too long to replicate

The situation that i am talking about only appears with large volumes, from 1 TB, containing around 200 GB of data and only when the snapshot is empty, like when no data has been changed from the last snapshot and the data that needs to be transferred on the remote location is ZERO. If we have some modified data, the snapshot replication takes place imediatly but the problem is when there is no data to transfer, in this situation it takes arround an hour.