4332 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Extend Pool and current Volume on HPE SV3200

mantap27
Occasional Contributor

Extend Pool and current Volume on HPE SV3200

Hi All,

Since I'm new to HPE Storage, I want to ask something simple here, after seeking formal document but can't find it.

I want to expand my current pool on StoreVirtual 3200 series storage. Currently the system consist of 10 disk, creating into 1 pool, with 2 raid-5 ( 5 disk per raid). This 1  pool divided into 3 volumes.

Now, I want to add with another 5 disk, identical type and size. Is it possible to add this new raid to current pool?

Then, we want to expand current volume. Is it Ok? Is't safe for current data?

Best Regards,

Azlan Syah

4 REPLIES 4

@mantap27 

It's always suggested to add drives according to the existing RAID

In your case your existing Configuration is you have two Disk RAIDs which are in RAID5 2 x (4+1) 

Now you want to add 5 more drives but the minimum requirement is 6 drives because you need to always keep in mind that you can't add RAID for single controller. It's always in pair which means if you have 6 drives then  you can create 2 RAID with RAID5 2 x (2+1)

However, I would suggest to consider buying more drives and match the number of drives as per existing RAID drive counts which means buy another 5 drives and create two more RAIDs in RAID5 2 x (4+1)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

@mantap27 

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how?

Also request you to mark the forum as resolved if there is no more outstanding query from your end on this issue.

This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
mantap27
Occasional Contributor

Hi  SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1

Thank you for your respond regarding my question.

Ok, i noted your suggestion by adding 10 disk to current system, insted of 5 disk. 

Next, how the way to expand pool? and add new capacity to current volume? is it safe for current data?

Please find steps of how to add RAID,

Adding RAID to a storage system
Configure tiers in a multi-tier system, or add an array for more storage capacity
1. On the StoreVirtual menu, select Storage Systems.
2. On the navigation pane, select the storage system, and then select Actions→Add RAID
on the content pane.
3. Review the recommended RAID configurations on the dialog box that opens.
4. Optional: Modify the recommended RAID configurations as follows:
a. Click Configure under the Tier you wish to modify.
b. Change the number of disks and configuration description as desired.
c. Click OK.
5. Click Add.

Please find the procedure to modify volume,

Editing volumes
1. On the StoreVirtual menu, select Volumes.
2. On the navigation pane, select the volume, and then select Actions→Edit on the content pane.
3. Make the desired changes and click OK.

You can refer the below Video to see the details of how to increase space in the Pool,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=ZyBvdzC2jeM

Regarding volume size modification you need to keep in mind that what is the Host Operating System running where your SV3200 volumes presented and whether it's filesystem supports online volume extend or not. Otherwise you need to do the same offline. 

So first you need to create RAID to increase space in the Pool. Then you need to modify volume size to increase the size of the volume. Then you need to modify the Host OS filesystem level volume size accordingly.

It's always suggested to take data backup before doing this type of activity.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo