1753511 Members
5153 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Failover Manager when using Hyper V

IainS
Frequent Advisor

Failover Manager when using Hyper V

What are people who are using Hyper V instead of VMWare doing for the failovermanager?

Does everyone run it inside VMWare player on a physical PC, virtual PC inside a cluster, physical PC or something else?

From what I can gather there is no such thing as a Windows version that runs inside a Windows instance. Is it a good idea to run VMWare player on a Hyper V VM?

At first I thought we could get away with the virtual FOM on one of our two nodes but then tried disconnecting the node running it and lost quorum (hence ISCSI access) so that isn't so good.

3 REPLIES 3
BC-aus
Occasional Contributor

Re: Failover Manager when using Hyper V

I am running a verys similar enviroment here. I am using VMware server to run the failover manager on a physical machine outside the Hyper-V cluster. Don't use VMware player as this does not run as a service and will stop unless a user is logged in on the physical server. This would not be adequate for a failover manager in production.

Also make sure you set the vmware virtual machine to start automatically and run asa service when the physical server reboots.

The best practice is not to run vmaware inside hyper-v. To many points of failure for production, if it works at all!
IainS
Frequent Advisor

I see this was moved to "Management software and system tools > Data Protector" but this is not correct, I'm not even sure what this is.

This is specifically related to the HP LeftHand P4000 FailOverManager (FOM in the docs) which is a critical part of the the P4000 product deployment.

Can this be moved back to "Storage > HP LeftHand P4000". Or can someone let me know how to get in touch with the moderators?

I doubt it will get many answers here.
IainS
Frequent Advisor

Thanks BC-aus for your response. After experimenting with running VMWare player and server inside Hyper V VMs and finding the old ones do work but do not run the FOM, and the new ones will not install inside a VM I've been forced to try what you are doing.

I'm pretty annoyed that I have to find a separate physical machine to run this on, which also has to have access to the iSCSI VLAN, and that it has to be VMWare which I don't know a whole lot about.

Why isn't there something that runs inside a Hyper V VM? Also not very happy that this is not made clear up front and is pretty well hidden away in the manuals. Surely this should a big warning to Hyper V shops that you either have to add VMWare as well, or buy 3 nodes, not just two. Grrr!