108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP DSM used with storevirtual and windows 2012

SOLVED
Go to solution
Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor

HP DSM used with storevirtual and windows 2012

Quick question: Do I need to install the Microsoft provided DSM role on windows 2012 PRIOR to install HP DSM for storevirtual lefthand 10.5?

Or there is no need to add the role Microsoft MPIO DSM and just g ahead an install HP MPIO DSM?

Also, as for the MPIO part, does HP have an updated MPIO manual for windows 2012? I have one that has the title for 2012 but win2008 screenshots!!

this link: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-StoreVirtual-HP-LeftHand/Round-Robin-DSM-for-MPIO/td-p/5560241#.UeNJd0ETEyQ

has instructions from David Urbaniak for windows 2008, is it still the same? do you add sessions?

thanks,

1 REPLY 1
Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: HP DSM used with storevirtual and windows 2012

Answering my own post:

MPIO with Win2012

Note: I have 3 storage nodes and 1 VIP. So At the end I should have a total of:

2x Windows Node Administrative Connections (one for each NIC IP on my Windows 2012)

2x Windows Node Active Connection to each storage node (one for each NIC IP on my Windows 2012)

In my setup of 1 windows node and 3 storage nodes. I will end up with 8 iscsi sessions.

1- Go to iSCSI Initiator properties
2- Select "Discovery" tab
3- click on "Discover Portal" add your VIP and press ENTER
4- Go to "Targets" tab
5- click on your target and click on the "connect" button below
6- On the connect to target window, click on "enable multi-path" and click the advanced button
7- On the "advanced settings" window select:
Local Adapter: Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Initiator IP: first iSCSI NIC
Target portal: the ip of your target
click OK and click OK again
8- If you go to CMC you will see one connection (adminsitrative) opened against the target from your first IP and 3 other connection also from the first IP but ending in ",DSM"

Now we need to add another session to the Target Portal for the second NIC we have

9- Go to Targets tab
10- click the Target name and click the Properties button below
11- click button "Add Session"
12- click "enable multipath" and click advanced
Local Adapter: Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Initiator IP: second iSCSI NIC
Target portal: the ip of your target

click OK, click OK
13- you will now see on the CMC two administrative connections and two connections to each storage node per initiator IP

Note: The lastest info I have i that HP Storevirtual nodes support 256 iSCSI sessions per volume.