New Discussion юеВ

HP LeftHand P4000 Redundancy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cosmin Pascu
Occasional Contributor

HP LeftHand P4000 Redundancy

Hello all,

I have a question about the redundancy of Lefthand solutions.

I would like to buy a HP LeftHand P4300 4.8 TB. From what i have read, the 4300 is in fact a 2-node configuration, where each node is a x86 server.

Is this configuration fully redundant?

In the quickspecs it says "Dual redundant, active-active storage controllers". Are there 2 controllers/node or does each node have its single controller? If a controller fails on one node, will i be able to access the data through the other controller?

Given that the nodes are x86 servers, what if something fails on one of the nodes (motherboard/CPU/etc)? Will i still be able to access the data stored on its hdds?

Thank you,
Cosmin
4 REPLIES 4
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: HP LeftHand P4000 Redundancy

Hello,

Some facts:
The HP LeftHand devices is in fact at HP DL185 G5 server with SAN/IQ installed on it.

There a a few things around the redundancy you need to know.

1) Each node has its own redundancy on the storage level - e.g. the P400 provides local RAID setup.

2) For full redundancy you will configure these two nodes as a cluster, and configure Network RAID to distribute a mirror of the data on both nodes.

Regards,
Jason.Wilkening
Advisor

The answer is it depends. :) Each module is a controller, and when yoi cluster 2 of them you get 2 controllers. Each module you add gives you an extra controller. For redundancy you choose that per volume. You can have a volume with 2-way replication which means any block written to module a is also written to module b. You can also have a volume with no replication which is only protected by the onboard raid.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

To add further to this.. usually a single node is configured with 2 disk arrays each with 6 of the disks in the server. This allows for 2 RAID5 logical drives per node further increasing your protection level.

You can have up to 2 drives fail on a node and as long as they are not from the same array, you won't lose any data.

Since the node is a proliant server with a Smart Array, replacing the whole server would probably not even cause any data lose as long as you have all the original drives and nothing is wrong with them.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
George Streeter
Occasional Contributor

Just know if you mirror the nodes that 4.8T of raw space will end up being about 1.8T of usable space.