1748062 Members
5721 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Lefthand Monitoring Tool

lefthanduser
Occasional Contributor

HP Lefthand Monitoring Tool

The HP Lefthand only comes standard with an CMC tool, but in the console you can only track the realtime performance and hardware statistics. Is there an good/simpel thirdt party tool to monitor the Lefthand storage cluster, so you can track the performance over an period instead only realtime.

7 REPLIES 7
ANNIE
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP Lefthand Monitoring Tool

Hi,
Can you mention your product name?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** If found useful, please assign kudos located at the left hand side.
Thanks.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
lefthanduser
Occasional Contributor

The product is hp lefthand p4500g2

ryan_1212
Advisor

Use cacti!  I am using cacti to graph performance of my lefthand environment. I am not a unix user, but I was able to get it set up on ubuntu in less than a day.  Some kind person at the cacti forums made templates for the lefthand SAN already., so it is not too bad the grab the SNMP stats and have cacti graph them.

The other quirk- lefthands total cluster I\O number has always been erratic.  I made a graph in cacti that grabs the RAID IOPS via SNMP from each storage node and adds them together.  It seems to be much more accurate.

Jeffrey Belt
Occasional Contributor

We've been using Cacti, but it is limited by the fact you can only keep data for 1 year.

Anyone got anything else?

What is HP Insight Manager like for this?

Jeff

ryan_1212
Advisor

HP insight does not monitor performance. You basically set the NSMs to forward SNMP traps for problems to insight, which then reports them to HP if you have remote insight support set up. It works pretty nicely but does not give you performance graphing or anything like that.

Cacti also does 2 years, not one year. From the drop down on the graphs page you can choose 2 years.

Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Use PRTG:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01750818.pdf

This document does mention about SolarWind Orion if you want to get fancy. These are SNMP based tools and very intuitive for the performance graphing.

pirx4711
Frequent Advisor

I use cacti for monitoring too (http://docs.cacti.net/usertemplate:host:hp:lefthand). But some of the values are just wrong and I couldn't get an answer to this problem from HP. I tried cacti and PRTG and both show the same (wrong) values.