New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP P4000 Networking Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
FrankSt olzenberger
Occasional Contributor

HP P4000 Networking Question

Hello,

i have a P4300 SAN with a seperate ISCSI Network, without connection to the company network

I want configure the SMTP Server for E-Mail Notifications and i get the error that the server is not able to resolve the name of the SMTP gateway

My CMC is installed on a virtual machine and this machine is connected tho both networks, the iscsi and the company network.

How can i resolve this issue to send notification emails
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sounds like you need routing between the iSCSI network and the network where the DNS and/or SMTP servers are located. The CMC application cannot do this - it might not even run 24 hours a day.
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Like Uwe said, you'll need to allow routing between your iSCSI network and where your mail server is located.

Email notifications are sent from the NSM's themselves (not the CMC).

If you want to make sure nothing besides email can get in our out of the ISCSI network, use ACL's.
FrankSt olzenberger
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help.

I have one question about the routing and using acl├В┬┤s to only transmit the SMTP Packages

How must i implement this on Procurve 1810G-24 Switches?

Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Looking at your switch model (1810g-24), it does not look like it supports features neccessary to use ACL's. I look on the feature support and did a search through the user's guide.

There would be one alternate method to pull this off, you could put a second network card in your mail server and give it an IP on the iSCSI network (alternately, you could use any machine multihomed on both netowrks and just put a small SMTP server on it with it's smarthost pointed to your real mail server). In either case, you'll put the IP address of the machine you use (the iSCSI network IP) in the SMTP server configuration of the CMC. Do not use the machine name.
teledata
Respected Contributor

Another option is to add an uplink from your iSCSI to your (router/gateway/firewall) and create the ACL on the firewall to route the SMTP traffic from the iSCSI network to the corporate network. You would also have to add the gateway address to your P4000 nodes to allow the routing.
http://www.tdonline.com
djlaube
Occasional Advisor

Another option is to install SMTP relaying onto the host that the CMC is installed in. That host would then be able to relay the emails out to the company SMTP server. I have several customers using this method and it seems to work well without needing to do a bunch of routing work or networking ACL's, just to get alerts..
FrankSt olzenberger
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all for the helpfull answers.
I think i will install the local SMTP Relaying from Windows 2003.