StoreVirtual Storage
1748065 Members
5440 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

HP VSA with hyper-v 2012 (2nd question, networking)

SOLVED
Go to solution
loop22
Occasional Contributor

HP VSA with hyper-v 2012 (2nd question, networking)

Hi

is it supported to connect 2x phys. servers with cross-over cables for the iSCSI traffic? Or do I have to use a switch?

I'm planning to connect 2x NIC of two servers directly for iSCSI (multipathing), the other two NICs (teaming) to the LAN network.

Thank you,
loop

3 REPLIES 3
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: HP VSA with hyper-v 2012 (2nd question, networking)

um...  I don't think its "supported", but its also doesn't make any sense.  The SAN is a NETWORK and not just two devices, so there is no reason why you would connect the two devices together in that manner.

Read the manual, follow the best practices and it WILL WORK.  Don't try and reinvent the SAN, but if you really only need it for two devices, then you shoudl sell the SAN and save a lot of money and get a simple DAS shelf.

loop22
Occasional Contributor

yes - you are right. It is strange.

The idea was to have 2 servers connected directly for iSCSI traffic, and on a 3rd server running only the FOM.

Does the FOM needs a iSCSI connection?

I dont want to use a DAS, because of single point of failure.

But thanks! It's better to use Switches. I will use 2 Procurve 2920 only for iscsi, I think.

2 other switches for the VM network?

regards,

loop

oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

you should use a FOM over a virtual manager if at all possible.  If your setup is small, you should be able to use the same switches for iSCSI and production traffic as long as you setup your VLANs correctly.  Run the SAN as a SAN or you really should go DAS...  for two servers, you can do shared dual DAS shelfs cheaper than a SAN and it will be just as reliable.