StoreVirtual Storage
1753831 Members
9218 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Store Virtual

vigna

HPE Store Virtual

I need to patch our ESXi host , there is two VSA configured in each ESXi host without Fail over Manager. can we shut one vsa down so I can patch one server at a time. 

6 REPLIES 6
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you want that everything stays online during the reboot of the ESXi host you need to see that you have quorum, or a majority of at least 2 managers. Every VSA runs a manager function but you will need a FOM Failover manager or use the virtual manager functionality inside the VSA.

So check on your ├╣anagement group in the CMC if you have a FOM or Virtual Manager and see that they are active. At that moment you can restart 1 VSA without downtime of the volume.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
vigna

We don't have FOM setup in place . The infrastructure have only VSA and it was deployed in each ESXi host

Rachna-K
HPE Pro

@vigna 

It looks like you have a 2 VSA Cluster which means you would have 2 Managers running.

For the Volumes to stay online, quorum required would be 2. Hence if we have to put one ESXi Host to maintenance Mode for patching, then there would only be one Manager running which will make the Storage go Offline due to Quorum Loss.

Hence request you to check in StoreVirtual Centralized Management Console (CMC) for the configuration.

You need to have more than 2 Managers running so that you can take one ESXi host for Patching.

As there is no FOM, you can start a Virtual Manager on the working VSA while the other VSA is powered off for ESXi Host Patching. Once its completed, you can Power ON the VSA, wait till the Volumes Sync, start the Virtual Manager on this VSA and shutdown the other VSA. Please go through the below Advisory on Virtual Manager.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04858181&docLocale=en_US 

Regards,
Rachna K
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company
Rachna-K
HPE Pro

@vigna 

Please let us know if you have any queries.

Regards,
Rachna K
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company
Rachna-K
HPE Pro

@vigna 

Regards,
Rachna K
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Rachna-K
HPE Pro

@vigna

Regards,
Rachna K
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo