1753940 Members
9900 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE server recommendation for DC + 25TB fileserver MSA, StoreEasy, StoreVirtual

AlexandreM
Occasional Contributor

HPE server recommendation for DC + 25TB fileserver MSA, StoreEasy, StoreVirtual

We need to buy a new HPE server DC server to manage ~ 40-50 users File server: 10TB to grow to 25TB which contains large engineering files I am considering A HyperV server with 2 VM: DC + FS An attached storage (MSA?) with the 15-25TB of data We rarely change server; thus this set up will stay for the next 5-8 years (based on past experience) Questions: 1. Is the proposed solution above (HyperV + External storage) the most optimum one? 2. I am considering a DL360 or DL380 for the HyperV. Thoughts? 3. I have NO experience AT ALL with MSA / StoreEasy / StoreVirtual. What is the difference? Can they be used equally to store data? 4. We traditionally have used ShadowProtect to backup data our servers. Would this still work with MSA / StoreEasy / StoreVirtual ? Thanks in advance for your thought and feedback Alex
1 REPLY 1
BenLoveday
Valued Contributor

Re: HPE server recommendation for DC + 25TB fileserver MSA, StoreEasy, StoreVirtual

Hi Alexandre,

Firstly, I would completely discount Storevirtual - it's a dead product.

For your scenario, just being a domain controller and file server, I'd probably go with a simple setup using Windows Server with the Hyper-V role and use a simple storage space using a DAS shelf. An MSA would be an alternative option but will cost you more. If you don't require any HA then a standalone server will do the trick. Make sure you run the DC and file server as two VM's to provide you a bit more flex and security.

If you are licensing the server with CIS Std/DC then you could use SCDPM for backups but will require an external target (unless of course you do basic snapshots to the same disk). Again, if you wanted HA you could consider an MSA, or an S2D two-node cluster (either will require two server nodes) but S2D will require CIS Datacenter licensing.

As for hardware, the DL380 option is better if you need local disk which could meet your <25TB requirement without an expansion shelf.

Not sure about ShadowProtect, I've never used it but assume it will work with pretty much any solution with caveats.

Do you have a particular budget?

Cheers,

Ben