StoreVirtual Storage
1751981 Members
4892 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

How-To attach and configure an external enclosure (HPE D3700) to a HPE SV3200?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Salah_M
Occasional Advisor

How-To attach and configure an external enclosure (HPE D3700) to a HPE SV3200?

Hello!

I have a multi-site cluster with 2 HPE SV3200 (OS Version 13.6.00.241.0).

I would like to extend their disk capacity by adding on each of them a disk enclosure HPE DAS D3700.

I've already attached one on the first node (on which there is no volume connected actively) via SAS but this one doesn't react like a HPE MSA2040.

The DAS doesn't show UP anywhere on the StoreVirtual Web interface (no disk, no enclosure visible). Normally it should be hot plug. Maybe this storage is not compatible? Or maybe should I restart each controllers?

I didn't find yet a HPE documentation which can explain how extend a SV3200 disk capacity.

Could one of you please help me regarding this by giving me the steps or the documentation?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How-To attach and configure an external enclosure (HPE D3700) to a HPE SV3200?

Quickspecs say you need this:

HPE StoreVirtual 3000 LFF Drive Enclosure

N9W99A

HPE StoreVirtual 3000 SFF Drive Enclosure

N9X00A

I think it is a normal D3x00 enclosure, but who knows?

Cabled correctly? LED status?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Salah_M
Occasional Advisor

Re: How-To attach and configure an external enclosure (HPE D3700) to a HPE SV3200?

Yep! Normal DAS, cable correctly and LED status are green, but no number visible on the D3700 controller behind.

HPE SV3200 Nodes:

• Model HPE SV3200 SFF
  • Warranty part number N9X20A
Salah_M
Occasional Advisor
Solution

It is solved!

So it is not like the HPE MSA2040, it is not HOTPLUG apparently with no way to scan the controllers after the plug.

1. I've shutdown the 2 HPE SV3200 controllers of the "passive" node where the DAS is attached
  2. Unplugged all power cables (HPE SV3200 and D3700)
  3. Re-plugged power cables of the HPE D3700
  4. Then Re-plugged power cables of the HPE SV3200
  5. Et Voilà! I’m now able to see the enclosure and all disks

Maybe a simple reboot of each controller is enough. I will test it with the second node.

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply TORSTEN! :-)

Have a good day! ;-)

Cheers,

Salah_M
Occasional Advisor

Hello!

Despite the fact that I can see the enclosure and the disk, the HPE D3700 is not compatible with the HPE SV3200.

I had a critical alarm which cannot let me create a array  " EID_STORAGE_CABLING_MISCABLED " despite the good cabling. Probably why this one didn't show UP only after the controllers reboot.

HPE_SV3200_NONE_COMPATIBLE_WITH_D3700.png

Also, after investigation, only 2 models are compatible (StoreVirtual 3000 Enclosure) like Torsten wrote.

SV3200_Compatible.jpg

Cheers,

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Can you tell about the cabling?

How does it looks like?

SV3200-add-on-enclosure.png

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Salah_M
Occasional Advisor

Yes, it is cabled like the picture you've posted.

• SAS cable from SV3200 Controller 1 SAS port to Enclosure Controller 1 Port 1
  • SAS cable from SV3200 Controller 2 SAS port to Enclosure Controller 2 Port 1
Salah_M
Occasional Advisor

I've got the confirmation from HPE Support and Commercial that the HPE DAS D3700 is not compatible with the StoreVirtual 3200. Only StoreVirtual 3000 (LFF, SFF) Enclosure are compatible.