StoreVirtual Storage
1752809 Members
6386 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

How to configure a single node HPE StoreVirtual 4730? Client will buy a second node later.

SOLVED
Go to solution
pritesh2
Occasional Contributor

How to configure a single node HPE StoreVirtual 4730? Client will buy a second node later.

Hi,

My client has purchased a single node HPE StoreVirtual 4730. I have highlighted all the risks associated with it such as - No Network RAID, only 1 Hot Spare that kicks in when a disk failure occurs. 

They are going to add a second node later. I will be thankful if someone could point me to a guide that shows how to configure a single node HPE StoreVirtual 4730?

Do we still go through the normal steps and instead of having two nodes in a cluster, we have just one node in a cluster and rest of the stuff remains the same?

Do we still have to do nic bonding between the two 10 Gb ports ? But in that case it will be connected to only one Network Switch. So should one 10 Gb port be connected to one Network Switch and the other 10Gb port be connected to another Network Switch?

Please let me know. I have been through the thread where a single node possibility was considered, just looking for more details.

3 REPLIES 3
Stor_Mort
HPE Pro

Re: How to configure a single node HPE StoreVirtual 4730? Client will buy a second node later.

Hi pritesh, 

A single node can be configured easily in the CMC. The main difference is that there is no raid 10 option.

Configure NIC bonding to allow path failover. It is still beneficial to use two switches to provide path diversity. Do not install a FOM or virtual manager.

You can add a second node into the cluster at any time if it is identical to the first. Use the same network settings and connectivity plan. The cluster will automatically convert your NR0 volumes into NR10. You will not be adding any storage capacity (because mirroring) but you will be adding a lot of redundancy.

I am an HPE employee - HPE SImpliVity Support

Accept or Kudo

pritesh2
Occasional Contributor

Re: How to configure a single node HPE StoreVirtual 4730? Client will buy a second node later.

Hi Stor_Mort,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Apologies for the further list of questions, but please let me know:

1) "You have mentioned "Configure NIC bonding to allow path failover. It is still beneficial to use two switches to provide path diversity. Do not install a FOM or virtual manager.". But the problem is, I have just 1 node with 2 10Gb Ports and 4 1Gb Ports.

So if I do NIC Bonding between the 2 10Gb ports, how can it be connected to two different switches?

2) Will I still create a management group and a cluster and add the single node to the cluster?

3) How will the iSCSI work in this case? Will I still need a VIP (in the same subnet as the iSCSI Prod Network)? 

Is there a guide, link or some write up on the steps to configure a single node 4730, configure iSCSI and present LUNs to a VMWare host ? 

Please let me know.

Stor_Mort
HPE Pro
Solution

There are three types of bonding on the StoreVirtual systems.

1. Active/passive standy
  2. Adaptive load balancing
  3. Link Aggregation

The first two can be connected through different switches. Link aggregation must be connected through the same switch or switch stack.

You would still create the management group and cluster. It is necessary to create a VIP when you create a cluster, even with one node.

There is no specialized guide to setting up a single node. I think you will find most of your questions answered in the StoreVirtual Users Guide at www.hpe.com/support/storevirtualmanuals , or in the Help menu of the CMC, which is very complete.

I am an HPE employee - HPE SImpliVity Support

Accept or Kudo