StoreVirtual Storage
1748244 Members
3929 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: I have one month until my 3 year free 1TB VSA expires. What do I do ?

AlexMercer001
Occasional Collector

I have one month until my 3 year free 1TB VSA expires. What do I do ?

I have 1 month until the 3 year license expires . I am using 500GB (  so staying far away from the 1TB, since it's a homelab setup )  of space and so far the VSA has been very stable and allaround great solution. My questions : 

1. What will happen after the license expires ? Would the VSA just stop working ? Do I have a chance to backup the data ? Is it locked out until I get a new license ?

2. Is there a way to use the service for free for another 3 years ? If so How do I do that ? 

3. I've read that if I accidentally switch to 60 days trail version I can revert back to the 3 years option with the " Confidential Info Erased " key. Does it work after the 3 years have expired ? 

Any help on that matter will be appreciated! Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

as far as I Know when your license expires VSA will continue 

to work but you will not be able to create new things

that is virtual volumes or snapshots

Regards

give a KUDO if this helps

Mohamed_I
HPE Pro

Hi Alex,

Please note that a HPE provides a  1TB license VSA as a Promotional License . This is meant to be used as a "Proof of Concept"(POC).  This does not include any technical support from HPE. If this is a single VSA setup, the volumes configured from this VSA will be NR0. These are Non-Redundant Volumes. If the VSA license expires, the volumes will go offline.

We suggest you to go for 4TB, 10TB or 50TB capacity licenses that includes HPE technical support as well.

Please let us know if you have any further queries.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
AlexMercer001
Occasional Collector

Yes I'm using just one node as a storage provider to my other machines. And so far a 4TB license seems like an overkill. However I would like to continue and use the HP VSA since it has been running without a problem so far. But I really need just around 500GB and one node. Is there a solution for a case like mine ? :)

Edit : According to this > https://community.hpe.com/t5/Around-the-Storage-Block/Free-and-Easy-That-s-the-HPE-StoreOnce-VSA-1TB-Data-Protection/ba-p/6944232#.W-xP-qZjmHu 

Is there a limit to the number of free 1TB StoreOnce VSA that a customer can download?

There is no limit. You can download the free 1TB StoreOnce VSA according to your requirements.

It appears that I can just reinstall the HP VSA and continue using the free version ? Or I am understanding the whole thing wrong ?

Mohamed_I
HPE Pro

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the update. The 1TB license has been provided to the HPE Customers on a Promotional basis as "Proof of Concept" and it does not include any technical support from HPE. Also using a Single node configuration is not recommended, as we can create only NR0 volumes. If the node hosting the VSA goes down, then the volumes will be available. The 4TB VSA Capacity license is the minimum support capacity license from HPE that also includes technical support. We also have 10TB and 50TB capacity license, based on customer requirements.

Please let us know if you have any further queries.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo