New Discussion юеВ

Installing FOM on VMware Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rhidian
Advisor

Installing FOM on VMware Server

Hi,

I'm attempting to install the FOM on a Windows 2003 Enterprise VM hosted by VMware Server 2.0 but get the error "No VMware platforms found" am I missing something or does the FOM require a virtual instance of ESX to run?

Regards,
14 REPLIES 14
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing FOM on VMware Server

what is FOM?
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Rhidian
Advisor

Fail Over Manager (FOM).
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

FOM is the FailOver Manager for the HP P4000 iSCSI product line. It is a special, stripped-down storage node that can run a manager service and acts as a 'tie-breaker' to prevent split-brain situations.
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Does FOM require FC connection/presentation on the node it is to be installed on? Or is it purely IP/LAN?

Also, On what platform/OS do you host vMware Server 2.0 which hosts that Win2k3 Enterprise Virtual Machine that you wish to install FOM on?

"does the FOM require a virtual instance of ESX to run?"

Must just be my understanding - but a virtual instance of ESX? Last I know, one can't virtualize a HyperVisor (nesting -- 'cept perhaps on KVM)...

I suggest you pore over the manual and see if FOM on a virtual WIn2k3 on vMware Server 2.0 hosted hypervisor is supported. If not and only Win2k3 on ESX is supported, why not just switch to ESXi...
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Rhidian
Advisor

It seems the FOM software does not support VM's hosted on VMware Server only VMware player.

Thanks for your help.
Zinky
Honored Contributor

What about ESXi (it is "free") as well.. and you should still be able to use that vMawre COnsole lougin used in vMware Server 2.0.

OR perhaps even Linux KVM? It is quite easy nowadays to convert VMDKs to any other Virtual Machine Format. WHat I like about KVM is it is fully HW virtualized and do not require any mods to the OS (no vMware Toolz)

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, the P4000 has nothing to do with Fibre Channel (SCSI commands over a FC infrastructure), it is iSCSI (SCSI commands over a IP infrastructure). All communication between the P4000 storage nodes and the FOM is IP.

The current FOM version can also be installed on VMware ESX and Microsoft Hyper-V, but it MUST NOT be put on a P4000 volume.

I've re-read the question and I missed the point that Rhidian starts the FOM installer *inside* a VM - that won't work. You must run the FOM installer on the Windows host where VMware Server is installed and running. Then it should do the necessary steps to create a new VM that includes the FOM image.
Rhidian
Advisor

With my configuration I only have two ESXi 4.0 nodes available and a managment laptop and the FOM is required to keep quorum.
Rhidian
Advisor

Uwe Zessin I will give it a go Monday it was suggested to me that only VMware player is supported, is that the case?