2990 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Interpreting StoreVirtual Storage capacity in CMC

A.W.R
Frequent Advisor

Interpreting StoreVirtual Storage capacity in CMC

Hi,

I am trying to understand the CMC Volume use values.

I have 4 by P4330 nodes in a cluster. Some of the volumes are configured in Network RAID 10, and some of the volumes in Network RAID 10+2.

If I look at the "VOlume Use" screen, there is a column - "Provisioning", and a column "Consumed space". The column show  a prefix "Full", followed by a value reclaimable, and the Consumed space indicates another value.

What are thes values for examples I have a datastore with a "provisioning" values of 4.24 Reclaimable, and a consumed space of 8TB, what do these values represent? If I configure Network RAID 10+2 across the entire cluster I will get only 6.2TB.

Thanks,

Andrew

2 REPLIES 2
oikjn
Honored Contributor

well, NR10+2 means you are storing the same data bits FOUR times, so every bit you wirte uses up four times that amound on the SAN.  on top of that, you are using full provisioning so that means that each LUN will reserve 100% of the sepcified spacae for that volume instead of the usual thin provisioning where the SAN only claims space when data is written to the SAN. 

Typically you should be using THIN provisioning instead of Full provisioning unless there is a specific reason you required full provisioning. 

Also, typically NR10 is sufficient for data protection unless you have a multi-site cluster and want a mirror at both sites (NR10+2) or a mirror at one site and a mirror across the sites (NR10+1).

Your usable space seems in line with the settings you have chosen, but the question is, why Full and why NR10+2?  Most likely you can use Thin and NR10.

A.W.R
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thank you for your response. We were using thin provisioning, but we found we were unable to reclaim space from the volumes easily, and the physical storage was over provisioned that caused problems.

Thanks,