Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
StoreVirtual Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is more iSCSI targets a bad thing for overall performance?

fourg
Advisor

Is more iSCSI targets a bad thing for overall performance?

We have a bunch of 3 to 6 node StoreVirtual P4000 clusters that serve up their LUN's via iSCSI to a number of hosts.  My question is, is it benefecial to limit a LUN to just the hosts using it versus offering all LUN's to all hosts?  From a flexbility standpoint of course the latter, but from a performance point?

4 REPLIES
Robert_SF
Occasional Visitor

Re: Is more iSCSI targets a bad thing for overall performance?

We have several clusters with as many as 8 nodes and 8 members of server clusters.  Also numerous volumes. 70+ volumes as well. i would be curious to hear an answer to this.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

Are you talking about connecting them or just assigning them R/W access and not connecting them.  If you are talking about connecting them, I think that sounds like a bad idea as unless the servers are using a filesystem that supports shared storage then you are going to run into corrution problems.

As for limiting who is assigned to the LUNs, I would limit it simply for ease of administration and to prevent a server from potentially connecting to the wong LUN through a fat-fingered admin.

fourg
Advisor

I'm asking about assigning them R/W and connecting them.  All of the hosts support the shared storage.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

what do you mean by support shared storage?  

I would not assign and would not connect hosts that are not supposed to be using a LUN to that LUN just because it seemed simpler.

For example, if you have a hyper-v cluster w/ CSV LUNs, I would connect all hosts to those LUNs, but I would not connect hyper-v hosts from another cluster to those LUNs as there is no benefit to this and only trouble could happen.

Can you detail what you are thinking of doing w/ the exactly what kind of hosts and LUNs?