108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Is there a way to test a remote copies

SOLVED
Go to solution
Keith Martin_3
Advisor

Is there a way to test a remote copies

We are replicating snapshots to a DR site.  3 of the LUNs being replicated are being used by VMware, and one LUN is being used by a Windows 2008 R2 server.  I'd like to know if there is a way to test the validity of the replicas without having to perform a full failover of the LUN.

Any instructions or white papers you can point me to would be appreciated.

The nodes are two 4730's in each location, however the pair at the primary location are running in a management group that is at level 10.5, even though their Lefthand OS is 11.0.  The remote location nodes are running 11.0 and the management group is functioning at the 11.0 level.

Thank you,

Keith

2 REPLIES 2
oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Is there a way to test a remote copies

just right click on the remote snapshot you are interested in and select "new smart clone" and then you can use that clone as your test.  Just make a single smart clone, assign it to a server and then connect to it and you should be able to see the data.  for simplicity I would probably choose the win2k8 LUN to test instead of the esx one, but once its a smartclone its really independent of the original LUN so you can do whatever you want to the clone.

Keith Martin_3
Advisor

Re: Is there a way to test a remote copies

Thank you.